The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Vintage Hardy reel?

Any info greatly needed. thanks.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...m/IMAG0026.JPG
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...m/IMAG0027.JPG
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...m/IMAG0028.JPG
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...m/IMAG0033.JPG
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...0/IMAG0034.JPG
Old 10-20-2011, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Vintage Hardy reel?

3 1/8" perfect, appears to be clean and in good overall condition with the agate showing no cracks. Other than telling you they run exceptionally smoothly due the the ball bearing system I don't know what I could say. They do tend to be a tad heavy and are often preferred on cane rods to counter the tip weight of the bamboo.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

any idea what year and value?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the foot, the linear script, and the case I would guess a early to mid 1970's - 1980 reel. Value is whatever the market will pay or bid. A reel such as this can sell as high as 450 and up if it were in mint condition with its original papers. I have seen them go as low as 285 but often higher it is truly a matter of who is looking and what they will pay at any given time. If the reel were left hand winding instead of right then that opens a new set of perspective buyers and can raise the stakes a bit.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the info, It was given to me from my Dad which I will never depart with. Just trying to figure out which reel I want to give my son.
The Hardy or the CFO. I'm keeping the Galvan and Lamson III.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Administrator

You're Welcome,

Personally I would keep the Hardy & the Orvis but that's just me.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Well, you made up my mind Hardyreels. I'll keep all four and buy him a new one for his 19th Bithrday. He just started fly fishing this summer on a 8 foot 5wt Graphite Browning. Any ideas on which reel he can grow on? We usually fish trout on the Boise River.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Unless you want to surprise him with the reel I would ask. There are so many reels available on todays market I would have no idea where to start.