The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:02 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Inexpensive Reels Compared

I love American made, English made (Hardy & earlier CFO's) and now I'm very impressed with Vosseler reels (German engineering). Very price competitve. Vosseler Reels | Flyreels for flyfishing with drive
You can get large arbors, traditional rim control reels, saltwater etc. I wouldn't be suprised if I (we) end up with more than one.
If you like the traditional rim control the RC series goes from about $125-$145
Old 05-15-2007, 07:16 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Of the ones you';ve mentioned, I'd probably go with the Okuma Helios. I have three of the Okuma SLV, which I really like, except they're cast reels. The Helios is the top of their line, machined, with a really nice drag. My second choice would be the Pfleuger.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 05-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefishin View Post
The post I made on 8 to 10 wt rods is drawing such a crowd that I figured I ask about less expensive fly reels. The purpose of these reels in question is to catch salmon in Alaska.

I can get a decent discount on Scientific Anglers System 2, Martin, Okuma Helios, Pflueger Trion and Summit reels. Are any of these capable of catching salmon and surviving a multiday trip? The reels I am interested in will be for rods in the 8 to 10wt class.

Since I am not an expert on this stuff, I can only guess that not all of the reels mentioned will have the capacity of 100' weight forward sinking tip fly line, plus the recommended 150yds of backing. I would assume that the backing should be 30# test as well.. Anybody have any idea, knowledge on these points?

If need be I will break down and pay for a more expensive reel, but I was hoping that at least one of these "working man" brands would be good enough.
I lived in Alaska for 15 years and caught all of my salmon and trout on a eight weight rod with a SA System reel. I don't remember ever getting into my backing. You will be fine with a 100/150 yards of backing. Fishing for salmon requires heavier leaders and with the right rod you can control the fish. The one exception is King Salmon due to their size. A eight weight rod is light if you are going just for Kings. The SA reel served me well but it would not be my choice today. I bought it due to cost and in the 70's there was not as good a choice as there is today. If you are taking only one line, then a sink tip is a good choice. If you can afford it, I would get a $250 to $300 reel. This range offers some really nice reels that you will appreciate for the rest of your fishing days. If you pick the right size and buy more spools as needed, you won't have to buy another reel.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:33 PM

sticks is on a distinguished road

I use a 10 wt and the reels you mentioned from the Scientific angler will serve you well. I have a Okuma SLV with 150 yards of backing. This is a great all round reel and can handle more fish than you can shake a stick at. Your concern should be knot strength.... With a good knot and reel you can do almost anything.
Good luck,
sticks
Old 05-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Joefishin is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Frank Whiton;11269]I lived in Alaska for 15 years and caught all of my salmon and trout on a eight weight rod with a SA Sy"

Hey Frank, what are you using for leaders? What lines wts should I buy if I want to tie my own, using blood knots?, for salmon, and if you could, please give me the specs on one for kings. The last time I did it I used flourocarbon leader material. I may bring a 12 wt combo for giggles, have one picked out. Speaking of leaders, Kodiak, etc.. what do we use for tippets? So far, I have an 8wt Albright, and 9wt TFO in the suitcase. Still have room. In case you are wondering, I am going to be fishing, and learning to fish, on this trip. So, I am bringing backup gear, and trying out some different wts to see what I like.

What mfg do you like in backing? Micron Saltwater?? What weights?

As far as the reel goes, I may end up with a Teton Tioga for the heavier rod. Then I can use it here on the East Coast for bigger biters. I have checked on the specs, and warranties for many reels in the last week. Sure, some of the reels in the $250 to $300 are probably much better. (drags, capacities, warranty) And I do think, a good reel with a few spools, can offer a wider variety of fishing opportunities.

just my opinion, no proof
Something fishy about the equipment industry. The prices seem to be list, no matter where you go on the better gear, unless a shop is closing, or a disco is in the works. More than likely the fishing person is getting "foul hooked".

Thanks,
Old 05-16-2007, 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=Jakeway;11261]Of the ones you';ve mentioned, I'd probably go with the Okuma Helios. "

I spoke with the company a week ago. I would love to try their stuff in Alaska. Lifetime warranty on the Guide Select fly rods, and five on the Helios reels. The price of the Helios, in my opinion, should get it into a lifetime warranty. I would suggest you send them an email asking them to do that. I am going to. Why?? Because one of the comments made by the reps was, "if the public asks for it, then support is put behind it." If the reps ask for it, the managers don't buy into it. If Teton can do it for under $200, and I think SA does in that price range, then Okuma can as well. But, what do I know??!! Why worry about warranty??? I should still be alive and kicking in 7 to 10 years, why not have equipment designed to last?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks View Post
I use a 10 wt and the reels you mentioned from the Scientific angler will serve you well. I have a Okuma SLV with 150 yards of backing. This is a great all round reel and can handle more fish than you can shake a stick at. Your concern should be knot strength.... With a good knot and reel you can do almost anything.
Good luck,
sticks
What knots do you use, where, and why? I think I might get one of the little nail not tools. Looked so easy that even I could use it!!!

The SA reels are not too expensive, some have commented about their drags being weak.. Even compared it to the Battenkill LA V I just got on clearance. That one was $140. The Tioga is a few bucks more but has a good rep. Or, the other reels mentioned can be had for less. So much to learn... Oye!!
But, I am actually enjoying the process somewhat.. Frustrating other times.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joe,

I suggest that you don't tie your own leaders. If this is a learning trip you will have your hands full without confusing the issue with hand tied leaders. Your 8 and 9 wt rods will do just fine with factory tapered leaders. Since you will be fishing a sink tip fly line I would go with short, quick taper leaders from Climax or Umpqua. Umpqua has a 5' taper leader and Climax has a 4'. I use to carry the Climax leaders in 0X and 1X size. I could make these leaders into 2X or 3X by adding a tippet. This leader combination worked well for me. You won't need Floro tippet for this type of fishing.

I used Micron backing but today I would use a braid made from Spectra. As I said before you probably won't get into your backing.

The Tioga reel is a good reel for the money and American made. The Teton model is also nice.

The fly fishing industry has worked hard to maintain list price for its equipment. This allows the manufactures and dealers of high level gear to make a good profit and stay in business. The system is simple, if you cut the prices you won't get any more gear from that manufacture. Why would your local fly shop carry Able reels if anybody could order one from Cabela's at a big discount. I think it is a good system.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:18 PM

Thanks Frank, I will get a supply of leaders and tippet.

If, when, I ever figure out what end of the rod to hold, I will then look at the good stuff.. Abel, Ross, Tibor, Big dollars. Loomis GLH, etc.. $600 plus. Fine, some people may appreciate the characteristics that this hi end gear provides.

Me?? All I am asking from any of the rods and reels that are going with me on the trip. Don't break because a design/mfg weakness. If I do something stupid, then it is on me, I'll take the blame. Like I said in other posts, I have broken the tip off a IM-6 rod that was about five hours old..So, having some backup gear is where I am going with the multiple outfits. And because of this, I am not in a position to drop $600 on each outfit.

I plan on taking notes on the trip. Going again next year is already on scheduler. Not that I am rich, but by then I will have the gear already, hopefully know where to go, and I will have a free ticket to the West coast.
The cost of the next Kodiak trip should be much MUCH less next year. I don't eat the fresh water fish around here. The salt water fish, blues, stripers, etc, all come with warning labels glued on by the State DEP telling you to eat no more than one fish every so often. Pretty sad, but, that is why I am glad there are still places like Alaska to fish. :-))

Thanks again.

Regards
Old 05-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

I plan on taking notes on the trip. Going again next year is already on scheduler. Not that I am rich, but by then I will have the gear already, hopefully know where to go, and I will have a free ticket to the West coast.
The cost of the next Kodiak trip should be much MUCH less next year. I don't eat the fresh water fish around here. The salt water fish, blues, stripers, etc, all come with warning labels glued on by the State DEP telling you to eat no more than one fish every so often. Pretty sad, but, that is why I am glad there are still places like Alaska to fish. :-))

Hi Joe,

I don't remember if you ever said where you will be fishing. The above comment sounds like you will be going to Kodiak. Is that your plans?

I want to caution you about Alaska fishing. You can't just go any where and catch fish. Most of Alaska's fish in rivers are migratory and you have to be at the right place at the right time. Even in lakes the fish will be at specific places at certain times of the year. A fish on every cast is possible but not every day and every place. I just wanted to be sure that you understand that Alaska fishing can be tough just like other places. It can also be fantastic.