The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Inexpensive Reels Compared (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/1978-inexpensive-reels-compared.html)

Joefishin 05-06-2007 12:03 AM

Inexpensive Reels Compared

The post I made on 8 to 10 wt rods is drawing such a crowd that I figured I ask about less expensive fly reels. The purpose of these reels in question is to catch salmon in Alaska.

I can get a decent discount on Scientific Anglers Systen 2, Martin, Okuma Helios, Pflueger Trion and Summit reels. Are any of these capable of catching salmon and surviving a multiday trip? The reels I am interested in will be for rods in the 8 to 10wt class.

Since I am not an expert on this stuff, I can only guess that not all of the reels mentioned will have the capacity of 100' weight forward sinking tip fly line, plus the recommended 150yds of backing. I would assume that the backing should be 30# test as well.. Anybody have any idea, knowledge on these points?

If need be I will break down and pay for a more expensive reel, but I was hoping that at least one of these "working man" brands would be good enough.

Colorado Cajun 05-06-2007 09:14 PM

Re: Inexpensive Reels Compared

Hey Joefishin, Welcome!

Of the reels you mentioned, I'd go with the Trion because it has a very durable drag system. I'd also check out the Orvis Battenkill Mid or Large Arbor reels too. I'm not sure of the capacity on any of them. I don't fish anything that large nor most of the regulars. We do have a few salt water guys around that might be more helpful.

Joefishin 05-06-2007 11:32 PM

Thanks Mitch. I too think the Trion has some potential. As far as the Battenkill goes, a pro shop in New Hampshire likes the real in the large arbor flavor, but when I went to my local Orvis dealer, he wants me to go for the Mark 5.

The Trion on the other hand is half the price, and still less money even with a spare spool. But, is it half the reel? Supposedly it is a machined reel with the "waterproof" drag.

I read an article in the American Angler about drag systems. Seems like one of the best out there is the Vortex, but at $600 plus,, I think I can shoot the fish cheaper with a 9mm!!

Thanks for the tip.

Piscator 05-07-2007 12:33 AM

I would suggest the Cortland Endurance. I have one for my 8wt and it works very well. I never fished anything like your going for but is has handled all the bass I've pulled in. Great price as well. The Trion is a great reel as well but I believe it will cost you a great deal more. I also have the Orvis Mid Arbors for my 4 and 5 wt rods. They would serve you well as well.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

Flyinsalt 05-07-2007 08:52 AM

I don't know what your budget is, but Orvis has their Rocky Mountain reels on sale. If you are looking for something with a better drag, look at the Tibor low end reels. Tibor is top of the line. I have also found some good deals on ebay on reels like Old Florida that will last a lifetime.

Joefishin 05-07-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyinsalt (Post 11073)
I don't know what your budget is, but Orvis has their Rocky Mountain reels on sale. If you are looking for something with a better drag, look at the Tibor low end reels. Tibor is top of the line. I have also found some good deals on ebay on reels like Old Florida that will last a lifetime.

I guess I am going to stay with the reals that have some corrosion protection as I will proabably use them in NE for stripers, albies, and bonito. Also, blues for giggles. I don't play when it comes to food fish. I hookem, crank the drag down and bring them home to eat. Only once did I ask a fish to spit the hook, it was an false albacore off of Point Judith RI.. The thing was like pulling a small block Chevy from the deep!! It had an old, favorite, rod bent over like an Ugly stick. I was glad it didn't trash the rod.

From what I hear, King Salmon do it for giggles.. :(

FYI, the reels that the pro let me use tonight were the big Battenkills. They were nice I guess, very light in the butt, and balanced with the Orvis rods he had. I tried a 7wt and a 9wt outfit.

Joefishin 05-07-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkknight (Post 11069)
I would suggest the Cortland Endurance. I have one for my 8wt and it works very well. I never fished anything like your going for but is has handled all the bass I've pulled in. Great price as well. The Trion is a great reel as well but I believe it will cost you a great deal more. I also have the Orvis Mid Arbors for my 4 and 5 wt rods. They would serve you well as well.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

Let me say that I am not a big fan of Dick's Sporting goods. They have pulled some stuff that isn't ethical. But, one can get the bigger Trion there, with a coupon that is in a local fishing rules book, for about $90.. Not too bad for that price I guess. All of those Trions are currently $99 bucks. So, the coupon covers the local tax, plus a few$$. I will check on the Cortland reel too thanks..

Joefishin 05-09-2007 08:29 PM

One of the local web dealers, is offering a TFO Pro, in a 9wt 4pc with a Battenkill mid arbor for $230. From what I gather, this isn't a bad price for the combo with a name brand line, Air Cell??(and filled with 30# backing) Air flow, something like that. Maybe its from FRAM??,,just kidding. Battenkill mid arbor, good enough??? I will probably order it in the morning.

Thanks for the help.

bonefish41 05-12-2007 10:24 AM

Consider Tetons.. if cheap enough...they are usa machined...their drag is good for about 2lb if you need more fight the fish in hand that is either palm the reel or line on the grip or rod...also Ross Canyons are on sale cause ross came out with new model also usa machined...frankly i don't fish chinese

Joefishin 05-12-2007 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonefish41 (Post 11190)
Consider Tetons.. if cheap enough...they are usa machined...their drag is good for about 2lb if you need more fight the fish in hand that is either palm the reel or line on the grip or rod...also Ross Canyons are on sale cause ross came out with new model also usa machined...frankly i don't fish chinese

I agree with the American Made. Have been asking why we aren't building more here in the fishing line. Okuma, Phlueger, etc. are setting the bar lower. Tiogas competing against Trions. Etc..

I haven't checked the Orvis boxes today, but I guess I shouldn't be too suprised if they are made in Asia.