The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 12:03 AM

Joefishin is on a distinguished road
Default Inexpensive Reels Compared

The post I made on 8 to 10 wt rods is drawing such a crowd that I figured I ask about less expensive fly reels. The purpose of these reels in question is to catch salmon in Alaska.

I can get a decent discount on Scientific Anglers Systen 2, Martin, Okuma Helios, Pflueger Trion and Summit reels. Are any of these capable of catching salmon and surviving a multiday trip? The reels I am interested in will be for rods in the 8 to 10wt class.

Since I am not an expert on this stuff, I can only guess that not all of the reels mentioned will have the capacity of 100' weight forward sinking tip fly line, plus the recommended 150yds of backing. I would assume that the backing should be 30# test as well.. Anybody have any idea, knowledge on these points?

If need be I will break down and pay for a more expensive reel, but I was hoping that at least one of these "working man" brands would be good enough.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:14 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Inexpensive Reels Compared

Hey Joefishin, Welcome!

Of the reels you mentioned, I'd go with the Trion because it has a very durable drag system. I'd also check out the Orvis Battenkill Mid or Large Arbor reels too. I'm not sure of the capacity on any of them. I don't fish anything that large nor most of the regulars. We do have a few salt water guys around that might be more helpful.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-06-2007, 11:32 PM

Thanks Mitch. I too think the Trion has some potential. As far as the Battenkill goes, a pro shop in New Hampshire likes the real in the large arbor flavor, but when I went to my local Orvis dealer, he wants me to go for the Mark 5.

The Trion on the other hand is half the price, and still less money even with a spare spool. But, is it half the reel? Supposedly it is a machined reel with the "waterproof" drag.

I read an article in the American Angler about drag systems. Seems like one of the best out there is the Vortex, but at $600 plus,, I think I can shoot the fish cheaper with a 9mm!!

Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

I would suggest the Cortland Endurance. I have one for my 8wt and it works very well. I never fished anything like your going for but is has handled all the bass I've pulled in. Great price as well. The Trion is a great reel as well but I believe it will cost you a great deal more. I also have the Orvis Mid Arbors for my 4 and 5 wt rods. They would serve you well as well.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 AM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road

I don't know what your budget is, but Orvis has their Rocky Mountain reels on sale. If you are looking for something with a better drag, look at the Tibor low end reels. Tibor is top of the line. I have also found some good deals on ebay on reels like Old Florida that will last a lifetime.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsalt View Post
I don't know what your budget is, but Orvis has their Rocky Mountain reels on sale. If you are looking for something with a better drag, look at the Tibor low end reels. Tibor is top of the line. I have also found some good deals on ebay on reels like Old Florida that will last a lifetime.
I guess I am going to stay with the reals that have some corrosion protection as I will proabably use them in NE for stripers, albies, and bonito. Also, blues for giggles. I don't play when it comes to food fish. I hookem, crank the drag down and bring them home to eat. Only once did I ask a fish to spit the hook, it was an false albacore off of Point Judith RI.. The thing was like pulling a small block Chevy from the deep!! It had an old, favorite, rod bent over like an Ugly stick. I was glad it didn't trash the rod.

From what I hear, King Salmon do it for giggles..

FYI, the reels that the pro let me use tonight were the big Battenkills. They were nice I guess, very light in the butt, and balanced with the Orvis rods he had. I tried a 7wt and a 9wt outfit.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
I would suggest the Cortland Endurance. I have one for my 8wt and it works very well. I never fished anything like your going for but is has handled all the bass I've pulled in. Great price as well. The Trion is a great reel as well but I believe it will cost you a great deal more. I also have the Orvis Mid Arbors for my 4 and 5 wt rods. They would serve you well as well.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Let me say that I am not a big fan of Dick's Sporting goods. They have pulled some stuff that isn't ethical. But, one can get the bigger Trion there, with a coupon that is in a local fishing rules book, for about $90.. Not too bad for that price I guess. All of those Trions are currently $99 bucks. So, the coupon covers the local tax, plus a few$$. I will check on the Cortland reel too thanks..
Old 05-09-2007, 08:29 PM

One of the local web dealers, is offering a TFO Pro, in a 9wt 4pc with a Battenkill mid arbor for $230. From what I gather, this isn't a bad price for the combo with a name brand line, Air Cell??(and filled with 30# backing) Air flow, something like that. Maybe its from FRAM??,,just kidding. Battenkill mid arbor, good enough??? I will probably order it in the morning.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:24 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Consider Tetons.. if cheap enough...they are usa machined...their drag is good for about 2lb if you need more fight the fish in hand that is either palm the reel or line on the grip or rod...also Ross Canyons are on sale cause ross came out with new model also usa machined...frankly i don't fish chinese
Old 05-12-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
Consider Tetons.. if cheap enough...they are usa machined...their drag is good for about 2lb if you need more fight the fish in hand that is either palm the reel or line on the grip or rod...also Ross Canyons are on sale cause ross came out with new model also usa machined...frankly i don't fish chinese
I agree with the American Made. Have been asking why we aren't building more here in the fishing line. Okuma, Phlueger, etc. are setting the bar lower. Tiogas competing against Trions. Etc..

I haven't checked the Orvis boxes today, but I guess I shouldn't be too suprised if they are made in Asia.