The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM

floorabove is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lamson Konic

Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:26 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

The Konic is anodized, then coated with polyurethane. the reason it is coated with polyurethane, I believe, is that since it is a pressure casting, the anodizing makes it mottled in color and pretty ugly I guess. That is my understanding.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I have a lamson Konic on a 8 wt. I use it for Smallies and steelhead. I fish probably 60-70 days a year. I have dunked my reel in the fine clay/silt of some rivers and I have had times when the fly line was laying in sand and it carried it back into the reel. I have never cleaned my reel or even taken the spool out. The closest I have come to cleaning it was just dunking it in the river. I was recently fishing with a friend and we had sand being carried back into the reel from the line. The line lays in the bottom of the boat which had a lot of sand. His reel sounded as if he was grinding when he turned it. He had to take it apart and dunk each half in the river to wash the sand out. On the other hand my Konic stilled turned smooth as ever and I had no issues. I will continue to buy only Lamson reels. If I can use mine as much as I do with as much neglect as I give it and still get flawless service then that's good enough for me.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

If you guys are looking for a good deal on them, right now Cabelas has them in their bargin cave for 30-40% off. There are some good deals to be had with them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Regarding Floorabove planning to buy a Konic for use in saltwater, Lamson does not recdommend the Konic for salt water.

Regarding MoscaPescador's comment about the Konic 4 using the "standard" drag rather than the "large" drag. Not true according to the Email I received from Lamson just a little while ago. There are 3 different size drags and all larger Lamson reels use the large drag it appears. Incidentally, they answered my query within 1 hour!! How is that for customer service via Email!

"Thank you for your e-mail, I donít believe it is mis-information you are encountering, simply a lack of understanding the information that is out there.

1. Absolutely there are different size clutches in different size reels. Are they the same clutch? Yes of course, just different sizes.

Very similar to the auto industry you would not race in Le Mons with an engine built for a Toyota Corolla- fishing for trout would require a smaller size clutch/engine than fishing for bonefish-which would require a larger clutch/engine to product more torque.

We have three clutch sizes in our models that increase as you get larger sizes to catch larger fish to increase torque.

2. Nothing on earth is impervious to saltwater- not even ocean freightliners. Our sealed clutch system is as sealed as you can get in this industryĖ but over time, droplets and salt will get in- Just like they do with everything else that salt comes in contact with . When that happens we simply replace the clutch, clean out the inside and itís good to go, nothing unusual or different than any other metal on this planet that comes in contact with salt.

We do not recommend Konic for saltwater fishing as it canít withstand the corrosion process as long as the actual machined bar stock aluminum reels that represent all the other models of reels that we produce."
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
Regarding MoscaPescador's comment about the Konic 4 using the "standard" drag rather than the "large" drag. Not true according to the Email I received from Lamson just a little while ago. There are 3 different size drags and all larger Lamson reels use the large drag it appears. Incidentally, they answered my query within 1 hour!! How is that for customer service via Email!

"Thank you for your e-mail, I donít believe it is mis-information you are encountering, simply a lack of understanding the information that is out there.

1. Absolutely there are different size clutches in different size reels. Are they the same clutch? Yes of course, just different sizes.
Lamson gave you some wrong information. Here is a picture of a Konic 2 (left) and a Konic 4 (right). Both share the smaller clutch unit. I swapped the clutches between reels. They were perfect fits.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dennis
Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I'll go with the reels underneath the Konic in the glass case (if I am identifying them correctly), MP! They are actually sealed, have a drag that will turn a tarpon and have a superior aspect ratio. The Hardy Fortuna X has not gotten a lot of attention in our threads but is a brilliant reel for 7-weight on up tp 14-weight. Most salt water reels of merit are designed from the papaer up for that environment. Rarely do light line optimized trout reels like the Lamson/Waterworks translate well into heavier duty applications. Smooth, intelligently designed and finished for a 5-weight, their width to depth ratio is ill suited to regain lots of backing and line uniformly as required in the salt and the clever conical drag lacks the sweep area for cool, potent breaking power. There are lots of fine reels with either draw-bar or stacked and sealed drag elements to select from that have proven them selves in the salt. As with fly rods, I remain confused when brand loyalty trumps applicable quality design.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 08-23-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Lamson gave you some wrong information. Here is a picture of a Konic 2 (left) and a Konic 4 (right). Both share the smaller clutch unit. I swapped the clutches between reels. They were perfect fits.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dennis

I think I recognize that counter top Dennis
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I'll go with the reels underneath the Konic in the glass case (if I am identifying them correctly), MP!
You identified them correctly. A few of the guys fished them already, and they feel that they are the real deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
I think I recognize that counter top Dennis
I worked there for seven years. Occassionally I help out when the guys go on their fishing trips.

Dennis
Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 PM

Those photos (see above post) do not show the conical drag, so you still do not know if the drag surfaces are the same size on these two different sized reels. They only show the gland cap and what I believe to be the clutch. Here is a video showing a Lamson buried in the mud and recovered and then used after rinsing off in the stream. If you continue watching, you will see a cutaway of showing the conical drag. They advertise their reels as having the fewest parts of any reel. It's the old "KISS" Principle applied to fly reels!

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

MY ERROR! They do say "different sized clutches", which makes no sense. It is the drag surface that would seem to be important to me. Would you mind if I forward this photo to Lamson? I will get through to an engineer this time. Marketing people!! BAH!

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

This thread has really gotten me to dig! I have learned a lot! Here is a brief history of Lamson-Waterworks: how they designed their reels from the drawing on paper on up and their philosophy on how a fly reel should be built!
X-CART. Powerful PHP shopping cart software - Waterworks Lamson Reels