The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Lamson Konic

I left my 9' 4 wt Sage with Konic 2 on top of my truck (4x4 Tacoma with 3" lift) while camping. A freak gust of wind blew the rod and reel off the truck and onto asphalt.

When I saw the rod/reel laying on the ground, I was nearly certain that the graphite rod and/or cast aluminum was gonna be cracked. Fortunately, neither was damaged other than what appears to be some cosmetic scuffing.

So it seems that my cast aluminum Konic 2 passed the 6 foot drop test. Would it have survived if it wasn't rigged to the rod to break its fall? I don't know, and I don't know whether the rod or reel hit the pavement first. The reel looks like it took the brunt of it. I've seen lightweight, machined from bar stock aluminum reels get bent from being dropped while rigging up. You sacrifice durability as you try to save weight.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I once dented the palming rim of a machined-from-bar-stock reel (George Gehrke's Marryat Reel) dropping it on the grass from waist high and cracked a pillar (could not remove the spool but the reel did not go out of round thus was still functional) on my beloved Hardy LRH Lightweight (aluminum magnesium alloy casting) whacking it with a rock. Had to send it to England where they cut the cracked pillar out and custom dovetailed in a new one...you have to look carefully to discern the repair. On the same wilderness trip that I broke the LRH, my buddy woke up in the morning to find his Scott Pow-R-Ply (yellow glass) rod to have nothing but nubby glue residue where the cork grip should be. A porcupine gnawed the cork completely away during the night! Inadvertent calamities occur but why invite them? Learn from experience.

Clearly, many of us have learned to re-spool our backing and line snugly and uniformly onto our reels, an important part of our craft regardless of spool aspect ratio. But, like learning not to forget rods on the roof racks of vehicles, developing a style that avoids dropping reels and rigging over non rocky surfaces in case we err and not leaving sweat-salted cork grips in reach of quill pigs, learn that excessively wide spools are counter-intuitive to uniform line retrieval and select reels with fishier proportions. To suggest two alternatives that clearly were designed by fisherman who also happen to be or have available engineers: the Hardy Ultralite DD is a very large arbor reel with a narrow width and tapered interior diameter of the spool. It features a stacked carbon ceramic large sweep area drag that is very fine-tunable and is available in incremental sizes to facilitate perfect balance with your rod. I have used one heavily for two years now and it has performed flawlessly. Nautilus features a "giga" spool ( large arbor) in their FWX and offers it as an option in their full-on NV series. These light weight reels have great large area drags that are as smooth as butter but can be set (in the case of the NV) to put the screws to anything that swims. I have been using an NV Giga-8 in the salt for two years as well and it has also performed excellently. The FWX, at a lower price point, is less potent than the NV but is a great trout reel with a very fine-tunable and consistent light to medium drag setting quality. It has been rigged on my 905 ONE all this season and has helped bring many fine eastern and western big river trout to net.

With excellent, reasonably priced choices like these plus great reels from Abel, Hatch and others, it eludes me why a design with a small conical drag and (when apart) easily contaminatable needle bearing, that requires extra attention and skill while fighting a fish to retrieve line uniformly, retains the brand loyalty enjoyed by this cast Konic and its siblings. Waterworks alluded to a narrower, higher performance model a year ago with I continue to await with an open mind.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I could debate how easily contaminated the bearings might be but I am tired of debating. The surface area of the conical drag is certainly not "small" (have you measured the surface area?). As for the Konic requiring "skill" in landing a fish, isn't that part of the magic of fly fishing? Otherwise we would be reeling 'em in on a spinning rig!
My lamsons are simple to take apart, easy to clean, and they do everything I need them to do and more. You know, it wasn't too many years ago that fly reels required "palming" to supply resistance to a running fish. Now talk about the requirement of skill! Those were perhaps the best days: more fish, fewer fishermen, less dependence on technology and a real feeling of accomplishment when a fish was landed.
Amen and pass the fly box!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:59 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Furthermore, it's worth noting that Lamson intentionally designs their reels as they do (wide) so that the torque required to pull out line doesn't increase as much as it does on a narrower spool when a hooked fish goes on a long run. In other words, it's to protect tippet. If one doesn't want/need to protect their tippet, then perhaps a Lamson reel isn't for them.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:39 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Oh, and while the Konic is pressure cast, it is "skim" machined afterwards for tight tolerances.
And for those who question the strength of a pressure cast reel, consider that the aluminum wheels on your car are cast! You bet your life on them every day!!
leithel likes this.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 PM

20lb_steelie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
In all but the two lowest priced Lamsons, they have Type 3 anodizing which is much harder and corrosion resistant than most other reels Type 2 anodizing.
The Konics are pressure cast aluminum, and tend to corrode easier than the other reels Lamson sells. All are machined from bar stock except for the Konic. Still a great buy for the $$ though!