The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Lamson Konic

I just pruchased a new Lamson Konic 4. it seems like a really nice reel, with a smooth drag. I have been a devotee of the Teton Tioga Reels, but since the company sold out, and the waranties are now void, I have decided to sell off the tiogas and buy new. The Konic 4 is going to replace my Tioga 10. My question is this....is there any special care that the Konic requires? Lubing? Cleaning? etc.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lamson Konic

Lamson Konic The Waterworks Lamson

look at the bottom for the part about maintenance. Odd place to find information...the manufacturer's web site.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I was on the site. Thats where I found out how to switch from left hand retreive to right. I was looking for someone with actual experience with the reel as it has been my experience that sometimes there are little nuances that manufacturers gloss over, but thanks for the sarcasm.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:48 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I'm sorry. Sent you a PM. -Mike
Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

This goes for all reels, but especially for the Lamson's- try to keep the spool and body together as often as possible, and be very careful not to get debris in the drag assembly when they're separated.

Other than that, don't store it wet/soggy, and rinse thoroughly after saltwater exposure, and you should have no troubles.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
This goes for all reels, but especially for the Lamson's- try to keep the spool and body together as often as possible, and be very careful not to get debris in the drag assembly when they're separated.

Other than that, don't store it wet/soggy, and rinse thoroughly after saltwater exposure, and you should have no troubles.
What he said!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:20 PM

mdraft1 will become famous soon enoughmdraft1 will become famous soon enough

I've heard from a friend that fishing Lamson reels in salt has resulted in some not so nice pitting on the spool. I assume Lamson puts a finish over the metal to protect it, but I'm not sure.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdraft1 View Post
I've heard from a friend that fishing Lamson reels in salt has resulted in some not so nice pitting on the spool. I assume Lamson puts a finish over the metal to protect it, but I'm not sure.
In all but the two lowest priced Lamsons, they have Type 3 anodizing which is much harder and corrosion resistant than most other reels Type 2 anodizing.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

This is one brand of reel I have never fished (though the Vanquish is very cool looking). My curiosity is piqued by the above comment regagrding contamination of the drag system; are the mating conical surfaces of the drag exposed when the spool is removed?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM

blazer75 is on a distinguished road

In a word, yes. When the spool is removed from the reel there is a hole where the spool shaft goes into the drag assembly so moisture/debris can enter the anti-reverse bearing and the drag pieces.