The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I tried the scotch thing last year when all you guys made me feel young and out of place...I wasn't the biggest fan. I pulled it out again last week, my 12 yr Glenfiddich is now a 13 year and I think it got a bit better. Does this stuff age the same after its bottled and the opened etc? or is there something special about aging in the barrells? Have to say I still much prefer my Maker's Mark Whiskey.

ausable,
scotch is aged in old bourbon barrels and the quality of the oak wood allows for a certain amount of evaporation or the "angels share". scotch that has been bottled does not undergo these changes so the flavor does not change that much.

gary,
good luck on your surgery

casey

ARFE
Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Thanks, Casey!
Gary
Old 10-30-2011, 11:12 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I wish bottles of Scottish malt whiskey were like fly rod warrenties...hey this bottle is empty! I am the original owner; please replace it. Thank you...

To my knowlege, only Tibor and Abel offer alternative handles. Hatch has enlarged theirs relative to their original design so, if you have an earlier model that could be upgraded. So, when shopping for a reel: along with linearity and infinit adjustabiliaty of drag, aspect ratio, capacity, weight and aesthitic appeal add handle design. Is it comfortable for my hand and, I think importantly, is it configured to avoid an erant coil of line getting caught up on it.

I handed a fishing companion my rod in a boat who immediatly hooked a striped bass. Why is this fish not taking line? A quick glance revealed the line, while clearing the slack, had caught up around the base of the large, rubberized, paddle shaped handle. #20 tippet held the fish while I cleared the line and the bass was brought to boat and released. My brand new line had a foot and a half of coating well abraided where it tried to roatate around the inwardly taperd base of that big comfortable handle.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
Reason #2 is so you don't get you knuckles busted on certian reels when fighting large fish, the drag system.
I've had my knuckles ripped a few times by whirling handles, ans I can only say that I wish they had been oversized "soft" rubber instead of hard plastic / wood. Bloody knuckles are a right of passage on Sockeye / Coho Salmon in Alaska.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.