The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 06:39 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lightweight Reel for a 2wt Rod

I've been thinking about a Redington Drift for my 2 wt.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the suggestions! The rod is a 8' Winston WT, so need to visualize how the Cortland color would go with the green blank (not that the fish care about such things ) I have a Orvis BBS III for my 4wt & like the quality of that reel but wanted to try something else for this rod.

I read an extensive review of the Cortland from a link one of the members shared via PM. However, there is very little on the TFO. The only dealer I have found that carries both the TFO and Cortland is H&H. I might have to order both and return the one that I don't pick.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

That has to be a sweet rod!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Hi Frank,
It is a fantastic rod I have it paired with a DT 2 line and it casts like a dream. I was concerned about how it would feel on the water but it only took one cast to rest my doubts. I tested it on a mid sized local stream a week-end ago and it performed like a champ.
Here are a couple of pics from the rod's inaugural outing. Caught several browns. The fish were nothing to brag about (size wise) but the sensation of hooking them on the 2wt was a lot of fun!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Just my .02:

I don't have a 2wt, but I have searched around for lighter reels that would balance my 7ft 3wt and 6'-6" 3wt's. Anything over 4oz. seemed just too heavy.

For the 7ft, I use an Orvis BBS II, although what I wanted was a BBS I. It's a bit pricy but I got a decent deal.

Believe it or not, I found a little reel that is a click and pawl that works great and balances just right for the 6'6" rods: It's a Fishon Bear Cub Raised Pillar Classic Reel. It's about $30.00 and weights a mere 3.4oz. There are lighter reels, but you will pay dearly for them. For a 2wt, it will do the job admirabley and looks awesome on the little bamboo I have.

Fishon Bear Cub
Old 11-15-2011, 09:55 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

HardyReels, What does a Featherweight with a bit of rash cost used or on the auction sites? Little rod, little creek world is owned by little Hardys.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cortland Retro Innards:

Moscapescador stated in an earlier thread that the Retro's click/pawl system is a Hardy Lightweight knock-off. The picture posted above is from a review done on another forum, and the reviewer is a Hardy reel owner. He gave the Retro high praise, and is known to be tough when reviewing just about everything.

I'd prefer the Retro because of the price, anodizing, and palming rim. I don't know about the color, but did have a light blue Ross reel on a green Z-Axis, and it never bothered me. The gun metal/darker blue of the Retro would no doubt look better than pale blue on a green rod. Rustoleum is still in business if it doesn't.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM

Here's another option: Hardy Fly - Products - Reels - Performance Reels - Ultralite Click Check
Sweet and Salt mentioned these reels a couple weeks ago, and I've been intrigued since. It's a large arbor, narrow spool reel. The weight of the 1,2,3wt reel is 3.6oz, and you won't need to add backing to increase arbor diameter.