The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Lightweight Reel for a 2wt Rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/205534-lightweight-reel-2wt-rod.html)

mysticm 11-14-2011 12:44 PM

Lightweight Reel for a 2wt Rod

At the start, let me apologize for creating another 'which reel to buy?' post. I am in search of a light weight reel for my recently acquired 2wt. Purpose of the outfit will be to hunt for smaller trout (Bows, Brookies) on some of the smaller streams in the midwest. Here are 3 options that fit my current budget & would like to request comments / opinions / experiences. Unfortunately, I will have to buy the reel on line (w/o any 'in-person' evaluation) so am basing the decision on my fellow forum members whose opinion I value above any magazine review. So, my options are-

Option 1) Cortland Retro
Cortland - Retro Click Pawl Reel

Option 2) TFO No. 1
Fly Reels

Option 3) Orvis BBS 1
Fly Fishing Reels for Trout / Battenkill Bar Stock Reels -- Orvis

dean_mt 11-14-2011 02:48 PM

Re: Lightweight Reel for a 2wt Rod

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticm (Post 347531)
At the start, let me apologize for creating another 'which reel to buy?' post.

I guess I should start by apologizing for repsonding...the only reason I clicked is because I have a 2 wt that I have always wanted to get a new reel for but just never justify it for how little I use it.

Anyway, I think you are hard pressed to beat the Battenkill. I've had one of the standard click and pawl Battenkills on my 4 wt for about 15 years. They are simple, solid and perfectly functional reels. For the money, they can't be beat in my book.

williamhj 11-14-2011 03:04 PM

I'm glad you posted it. I have been thinking about building a 2wt for some very small streams and have poked around for a reel. I figure it won't be much more than a line holder though do want something of decent quality in case there is a big fish hiding in a small stream. Most of the ones I have seen are $$$ (only reel I have over $100 is my mid-arbor battenkill for my 8wt) so I'd love to see if anyone has suggestions that I have not found online.

Hardyreels 11-14-2011 03:28 PM

The old Battenkill 3/4 clicker reels (not disc) are pretty darn light and can be found on the auction site. I don't think one would be too heavy and they sell at reasonable prices.

If you're not in a hurry the old Martin MG-3 reels come up for sale now and then however they often sell in the 50 - 80 dollar range based on condition. These are nice light reels and were Martin's take on the Hardy Featherweight, not a copy but just as light and fairly attractive. These reels had a machined foot and a decent clicker drag and go left or right hand retrieve. There is a picture of my MG-3 on this thread, Page 1, near the bottom of the page. I like it a lot; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...el-thread.html

Ard

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

I checked the links you put up and that Cortland Retro is pretty sharp, I would choose between that and the Orvis if I were getting a new one.................

MoscaPescador 11-14-2011 03:33 PM

Here is a link that is related to your thread.

Dennis

dean_mt 11-14-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 347593)
The old Battenkill 3/4 clicker reels (not disc) are pretty darn light and can be found on the auction site. I don't think one would be too heavy and they sell at reasonable prices.

That is the one I was talking about, Ard. I think I paid $80 for it new 15 years ago and have never done anything with it...except catch fish! It is also the the reel that I use on the said 2 WT and depending on the rod, it is passable. I wouldn't mind something a little smaller/lighter but it is not a big hassle on my 8'2" rod.

sandfly 11-14-2011 05:24 PM

can't beat the BBS I have one on my 6' 2wt. lightest one I could find for the money..

caseywise 11-14-2011 05:40 PM

mystism,
my 2 weight rod is 6' as well, a 3 piece colton slipstream. i have an okuma vashon 3/4 on it that i really like. i won the reel, nib, on auction for 39 bucks with the intention of reselling it but changed my mind after i realized how well it matched up with my rod.
i currently have an allen wf3f line on it (been messing around with overlining my lower weight rods) and really like how the whole setup performs:)

casey

FrankB2 11-14-2011 05:53 PM

The Cortland Retro weighs 3.1oz, and has a diameter of 2 7/8". The Orvis BBS I weighs 3.2oz, and has a diameter of 2 1/2". The Retro would seem to be the more versatile reel due to its larger diameter.

caseywise 11-14-2011 06:33 PM

now if my backyard contained a tree that produced cash by the wheelbarrow and price wasn't an option-
ULA Purist The Waterworks Lamson
ula purist I - 2.7 ounces:)

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

here's the colton/okuma setup.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6110/...a5de15ef91.jpg

casey