The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Orvis Hydros reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/207066-orvis-hydros-reel.html)

notenuftoys 11-18-2011 11:47 AM

Orvis Hydros reel

I'm getting a new 9wt rod for bass and saltwater (probably a BVK), and I need a reel to go with it. My friend has the Orvis Mirage for his 10wt, and it will stop a freight train! But I can't spend quite that much, so I'm looking at the Hydros.

Anyone have any experience with this reel? How's the drag? Is it light enough to match well with a BVK rod?

thenextlevel 11-18-2011 11:53 AM

Re: Orvis Hydros reel

I have the Hydros reel for my 7wt Hydros rod. I have owned just about every reel orvis has made and this one is one of the best. Great feel, light weight, powerful drag, and it is priced very affordable. I will b buying another one for my switch outfit soon.

kwb 11-18-2011 01:39 PM

GREAT reel, if you want to know more about it, give Dave Hise a call at Casters Fly Shop. He's an Orvis dealer and actually KNOWS what he's talking about. You call Orvis and get some kid who can't help you at all, I got sick of that and been dealing with Dave ever since, been very impressed...

Casters Fly Shop - North Carolina's Premier Fly Fishing Shop

Not affiliated with him in any way, shape or form, just had good experiences with him...

ted4887 11-19-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenextlevel (Post 349745)
I have the Hydros reel for my 7wt Hydros rod. I have owned just about every reel orvis has made and this one is one of the best. Great feel, light weight, powerful drag, and it is priced very affordable. I will b buying another one for my switch outfit soon.

I'd also second everything he said. I've got one in for my 3wt, and absolutely love it. It's a fantastic reel.

biggie_robs 11-20-2011 12:19 PM

I have a Hydros III on my 5wt--no complaints yet.

screwballphil 02-04-2012 12:07 PM

Hi,

I've got a Hydros rod 7wt 40oz 10ft tip flex and I was wondering which Hydros reel to get?!

The hydros lll 5wt to 7wt or the hydros lV 7wt to 9wt?

If someone can help that would be great... Thanks

lynch 02-28-2012 05:58 AM

It's a 10' rod, personally, I would go with the IV . They are great reels, you will not be disappointed.

I've use a Mirage III on my Sage 99 in 5wt and it balances it nicely, if I had the 99 in 7wt, I would definitely use the IV.

bxv 03-01-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwballphil (Post 390807)
Hi,

I've got a Hydros rod 7wt 40oz 10ft tip flex and I was wondering which Hydros reel to get?!

The hydros lll 5wt to 7wt or the hydros lV 7wt to 9wt?

If someone can help that would be great... Thanks

i'd go with the smaller but it depends on what you're casting for

moucheur2003 03-04-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notenuftoys (Post 349743)
I'm getting a new 9wt rod for bass and saltwater (probably a BVK), and I need a reel to go with it. My friend has the Orvis Mirage for his 10wt, and it will stop a freight train! But I can't spend quite that much, so I'm looking at the Hydros.

Anyone have any experience with this reel? How's the drag? Is it light enough to match well with a BVK rod?

According to the Orvis website, the Hydros LA V reel for 9-10 weights weighs 8 oz. The LA IV for 7-8 weights weighs 6.9 oz.

According to the TFO website, the largest BVK SLA III reel weighs 5.2 oz, but it appears to have less backing capacity than the Hydros LA IV. A TFO rep told me that they brought out the BVK reels because other reels were too heavy to match the BVK rods, but the website doesn't show a BVK reel that can hold a #9 line with lots of 30# backing. IF you're willing to use 20# backing and less of it, that might be the way to go.

However, the Orvis Mirage reels are only slightly lighter than the Hydros, and they were built to balance the ultra-light Helios rods, so I'm guessing you'd be ok with the Hydros.

The Lamson Guru might also be worth a look. Similar price and capacity to the Hydros, but lighter.

Of course, the best test is just to put the reel on the rod and cast it for a while.

wetboot 03-23-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moucheur2003 (Post 407913)
According to the Orvis website, the Hydros LA V reel for 9-10 weights weighs 8 oz. The LA IV for 7-8 weights weighs 6.9 oz

Hi- not sure if you have made your decision yet, but I acquired a Hydros V for my 9wt rod and it is too heavy. I recently tried it on a Sage Vantage 9'9wt, and it was even more unbalanced. Just out of curiosity, we kept trying it on different rods, until we found one that seemed right, and it was a 12'9" 7wt Redington switch rod! Go with the IV for a 9wt rod. The V is more suited to a 10-11 wt in my opinion. Nice reels, though.