The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough
Default spare spool vs. whole new reel

i just read a post where the person preferred to buy a new reel, instead of a spool for an existing reel, for different lines. i was curious what, if any, advantage this has. seems like it could get really expensive if you need three or more reels for each line weight (float, sink, intermediate), but i'm curious nonetheless.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spare spool vs. whole new reel

Most people who have spare reels have spare rods. In many situations, it is much easier to grab another rigged up rod rather than wasting time to re-rig.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:26 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough

let's say i have one rod. would there be any advantage to buying another reel, if i wanted to use a different type of line, instead of a spool for my existing reel? perhaps redundancy in the event of failure, but i can't think of any other advantages; only drawbacks.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Hollywood,

I did the one frame & three spools thing for many years and it worked just fine because as you suggest in your scenario I had one rod and was using different lines. When I reached the point in life where I could buy rods and reels (even though I didn't really need them) I got more reels and rods. I still have the original Pflueger and Hardy reels that I bought the spools for and still use them on different rods today because now there are more rods. So I guess I'm saying spools are a good idea but if you are only thinking of this because you want to get or use a sink tip line I would point you toward using mini heads and not buying a sink tip.................... I guess you should explain why you want more spools or reels and we could go from there

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2011, 01:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

For me it's just easier to change out the whole reel rather than change just the spool. Not that I don't have reels with extra spools too, but if a spool for one reel cost as much as what I can get another whole reel for, guess what I'm going to do.

I recently picked this reel up at a yard sale
It's an LLBean "Double LL" made by STH
Good reel cheap
(probably should have cleaned it before taking a picture )

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I guess you should explain why you want more spools or reels and we could go from there
i was just curious. i read a post here (wish i could find it again) of a member touching on the fact that they buy reels instead of spools, but did not expand on the subject as to not get off topic. i would have PM'd the user, but i didn't start thinking about what i read until a little later, at which point, i was unable to locate the original thread/post and decided to ask the forum outright.

i'm new to the game, so i'm just trying to figure out why people do the things they do. to me, it doesn't make sense to buy a whole new reel just for a different type/weight of line. i have a reel with WF8F line on it. if i want to fish the bottom, i would buy a spool for my existing reel to load up with the sinking line. the post i refer to above, the person replying to the topic inferred that they used to buy spools for their reels, but since, they had seen the light and buy reels instead (in not so many words).

example of my situation: i have a Lamson Litespeed 3.5x that i've spooled with floating line. i could get two extra spools (to cover intermediate and sinking lines) for the cost of a second Lamson Litespeed 3.5x. i only have one 8wt rod and do not plan on purchasing another 8wt any time soon.

from what i understand, in my situation, it wouldn't be economical to load up on reels instead of spools. with that said, i was just curious how this mystery poster justified buying reels instead of spools.

taking it a step further. let's say i have two 8wt rods. i still don't see the economical advantage of buying a second reel for it if they will never be used at the same time; i can always swap reels. again, perhaps there's something i'm not seeing/understanding (excuse my ignorance, i'm a new guy )
Old 11-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's a good point Paul, I should have mentioned price when I replied but I didn't. The reason I got extra spools way back when was I was able to get them for about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the whole reel. With my old Medalist 1495 the spool was really affordable, for the Hardy I think I paid 50 dollars for two of them.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

The mystery poster may have been talking about reels that sell complete for under 100 dollars. I would not have 2 reels for 2 rods that were very similar but would use a second spool and line for the rod that required it. For instance I may use the same reel on both a 9' 7 weight and a 9' 5 weight but would need different weight lines so.......

For achieving sink rates take a look at the leader construction I described on the bottom of this thread; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html I don't use sinking lines or tips any longer but get it done by changing the length of head in the middle of my leader. By varying the butt length and tippet length along with the length of the braided head you can fish just about any depth you want without using specialty lines.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
For me it's just easier to change out the whole reel rather than change just the spool. Not that I don't have reels with extra spools too, but if a spool for one reel cost as much as what I can get another whole reel for, guess what I'm going to do.

I recently picked this reel up at a yard sale
It's an LLBean "Double LL" made by STH
great point on price, and duly noted. also, great looking reel!

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
For achieving sink rates take a look at the leader construction I described on the bottom of this thread; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html I don't use sinking lines or tips any longer but get it done by changing the length of head in the middle of my leader. By varying the butt length and tippet length along with the length of the braided head you can fish just about any depth you want without using specialty lines.
excellent, thanks! reading through the thread now.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I think that I may be the "mystery poster"
I have mentioned that here before
Old 11-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I think that I may be the "mystery poster"
I have mentioned that here before
after some more thinking, i think i was just over-thinking things.

there's no tactical advantage in purchasing a new reel as opposed to a spool, or vice versa. it all boils down to preference.