The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GrtLksMarlin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 07:05 PM

kervegan is on a distinguished road
Default new donut fly reel

What do you think about MARCO TRAVELLER fly reel?
A fly reel capable to adapt and grow with your needs.
Using a five spindle ball bearing design with a flexible system for exchanging spools of different diameters and capacities to allow you to tackle any situation.

Shown on [url=http://flyreelmania.free.fr]
Old 10-14-2015, 07:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: new donut fly reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3LZIPYLPk

Pretty cool 'bit 'o kit.'
Old 10-14-2015, 08:59 PM

flynnster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new donut fly reel

Pretty cool concept there, makes a lot of sense as long as the drag has a wide enough range for all the different sizes situations.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:28 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

(my sound is out at the moment so I'll have to go on looks alone)

Personally I feel that it is gimmicky and unnecessary. Most reels you're only speaking of a 1/2" or less change in "radius", some that offer a vast range in sizes like the Orvis Mirage (I-VII) an inch. With that in mind, we're speaking of what I suspect are expensive spools (in that the bearings and I assume clutch are internally mounted to them), along with what is likely a more expensive frame.

Personally, if I had to have just a single frame using multiple spools, I'd simply consider the largest I'd need and just add backing (even thicker diameter base layer backing to simply increase size) and go with that in that the change in spool weight is rather insignificant (as remember, it's the same frame).....If I had to have different sized spools, then I'd simply make the line guides top and bottom movable and not worry about the distance to the foot from the axle.

Finally, it looks as though the drag is a slotted screw adjustment. I don't want to have to rely upon a screwdriver or coin, or whatever to have to adjust it.......Finally as to drag, I don't particularly want a drag that is set up for a 9wt. when I'm using a 3wt.. Now just for spool over-run is fine, yet if using it for more (which I rarely do, yet many do), I don't want a 3wt. drag being too light for 9wt. fish, or a 9wt. drag being too heavy for 3wt. fish.

Lastly, in the end you still have a 9wt. frame (as to weight) for a 3wt. reel.

That all said, the reel will likely work, yet at what cost? My guess is that it won't be the least expensive out there, and on top of that the reliability of the reel in the end may have been sacrificed all for the sake of adjustment.

Just my opinion,

B.E.F.
mcnerney and flynnster like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:26 AM

clever_nickname is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
Finally as to drag, I don't particularly want a drag that is set up for a 9wt. when I'm using a 3wt.. Now just for spool over-run is fine, yet if using it for more (which I rarely do, yet many do), I don't want a 3wt. drag being too light for 9wt. fish, or a 9wt. drag being too heavy for 3wt. fish.
Neat idea, but I share your concern here...although I'd like to handle one in person to test it out.