The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 PM

houli has a spectacular aura abouthouli has a spectacular aura about
Default Reel for TFO BVK 8 wt

I'm picking up a BVK 8 wt next week and am looking for input/recommendations on what reel to pair with it. Will be my go to for everything from LMB and SMB from the kayak to stripers from my buddies boat (and bonefish .... Much less regularly).

Any other info is greatly appreciated (line - float & sink tip, etc.)

Thanks for the help.

Ryan
Old 11-21-2011, 11:03 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Reel for TFO BVK 8 wt

I have a Lamson ULA Force LT 3x on my BVK 8wt. That's a whole lotta acronyms but not much weight.

It's not the prettiest reel, but it works for me!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough

i have a Lamson Litespeed 3.5x (2012 model) in the mail for the 8wt BVK. i love everything about the latest Litespeed reels. i have a pretty good idea where the balance point will be with the 3.5x. the 3x was a little too light on the 8wt and made the outfit a little tip-heavy.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:21 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Personally, I prefer the Okuma Integrity 7/8. Awesome drag system IMO
Old 11-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The Ross Evolution LT #4 would likely balance it quite well.

I wouldn't recommend overlining that rod, but a half heavy line should accentuate its shooting talents. For Bass, SA's Mastery Textured Magnum/Titan would be ideal.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM

Do you recommend a sealed drag system for salt water application?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sealed drag systems are great for saltwater due to little or no maintenance. But some will use traditional draw bar and cork drag reels due to reliability. Maintenance is involved, but those who own these types of reels don't mind.

Dennis
Old 11-22-2011, 01:08 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I am with MP on this. Go to a Bahamian bonefish lodge and the majority of rods on the rack will be mounted with Abels and Tibors. They are bullet proof reliable, strong and USER MAINTAINABLE. Nothing wrong with sealed drags and they are undoubtably growing in popularity and acceptance. I have been using a Hatch (along with my draw-bars) and it has been great and I have a new sealed drag reel that I will use in the Bahamas in a couple of weeks. But if something goes awry with a sealed drag you have to go to your back-up reel.

Since reels in the salt, particularly when wading, do accidently get dunked now and then and must be taken appart and rinsed, if you go with a sealed drag select one that is truely sealed. If removing the spool exposes the drag assembly or it actuating bearing to contamination then it is not "sealed".
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I am with MP on this. Go to a Bahamian bonefish lodge and the majority of rods on the rack will be mounted with Abels and Tibors. They are bullet proof reliable, strong and USER MAINTAINABLE. Nothing wrong with sealed drags and they are undoubtably growing in popularity and acceptance. I have been using a Hatch (along with my draw-bars) and it has been great and I have a new sealed drag reel that I will use in the Bahamas in a couple of weeks. But if something goes awry with a sealed drag you have to go to your back-up reel.

Since reels in the salt, particularly when wading, do accidently get dunked now and then and must be taken appart and rinsed, if you go with a sealed drag select one that is truely sealed. If removing the spool exposes the drag assembly or it actuating bearing to contamination then it is not "sealed".
Not to mention a one-way bearing frozen to the spool for life. I love my draw bars but if you skip that yearly tear down and clean up you will pay for it.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post

What are some truely sealed models out there? I was looking at at Ross Evo LT, Lamson Litespeed & ULA, Bauer Rogue, Galvan Torque, Orvis Mirage ..... the Tibor and Abel reels i looked up were a bit out of the price range I'm looking at.

Thanks