The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Can't tell my left from my right??

Hi Rayvyn,

There are not left or right hand reels unless you are getting a special reel like an anti-reverse. There are a couple of exceptions but you won't be looking at them.

If you want a reel to wind with your left hand just tell the dealer you want it set up for left hand winding. You can tell how a reel is set up by setting the drag to high resistance and then see which direction the drag works. The line pulling off the reel has to work against the drag. When you wind there should be no resistance.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Rayvyn,

There are not left or right hand reels unless you are getting a special reel like an anti-reverse. There are a couple of exceptions but you won't be looking at them.

If you want a reel to wind with your left hand just tell the dealer you want it set up for left hand winding. You can tell how a reel is set up by setting the drag to high resistance and then see which direction the drag works. The line pulling off the reel has to work against the drag. When you wind there should be no resistance.
What Frank is telling you is most reels can be set up either way. Swing by a fly shop and have someone show you.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 06-26-2007, 02:30 PM

shocktrooper32 is on a distinguished road

if your ordering it on line order a left hand, alomost every reel can be easily changed to left or right. If your not comfortable doing it yourself any outfitter or fly shop will do it for you
Old 06-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Most common is cast right handed, reel left. Right hand retrieve is used alot on Saltwater cause most people can reel faster with there right (if they are right handed that is)
Most reels come set-up left hand retrieve and with the addition of Large Arbors, you can still bring in a lot of line with your left hand.
Being a new comer, you are moldable, go with what feels good.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:33 AM

Rayvyn is on a distinguished road

The reel I have seems to be an exception... The Hardy St George has the guide mounted at the front and forces the crank to the right... I'll probably have to sell that for a left capable reel but not sure if I call the St George a right or left when I end up listing it for sale...
Old 06-27-2007, 04:08 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

to clarify what frank said, and what you specifically asked, if you want to reel with your left hand, buy a reel set up for left hand wind, or LHW, as it's often labeled.

in the end, most reels (except 20+ year older ones) are reversible. they usually come set up initially to wind with the left hand but not all. i've bought about 4 reels in new condition over the past few years and all were set up for left hand wind out of the box. only two used ones, both about 50 years old, were set up for right handed wind but the seller reversed one for me, i did the other. it's usually a very simple operation.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:15 AM

shocktrooper32 is on a distinguished road

Im completly confused ....can you download a mannual for the reel or get one from the manufactuer?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvyn View Post
The reel I have seems to be an exception... The Hardy St George has the guide mounted at the front and forces the crank to the right... I'll probably have to sell that for a left capable reel but not sure if I call the St George a right or left when I end up listing it for sale...
Rayvyn,

Well now you didint say you had a St George. I never had a St George but I did have a Hardy Perfect. I think the St George came in a left hand model and a right hand model. I don't think your reel is switchable from right had wind if that is the model you have. Just use it as a right hand reel. Pictured are the St George left and right hand wind.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

st george huh? is it about 3 inches in diameter? yup, if the line guard is set up for use as a right handed wind, that's pretty much problematic for ya especially since i WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend you stick with left hand winding and like frank said, i'm pretty sure st georges came in one or the other version, not changeable. yup, yup, yup, you'll be too confused and lose SO many fish trying to figure out which way to wind. in fact, i'd be willing to help you out. i'd be GLAD to send you an very good condition made in ENGLAND orvis battenkill disc 3/4 set up for left hand winding in exchange for that st george which is COMPLETELY useless to you. know that i would give it a good home, if it's in fine workable condition of course :-)

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:18 AM

Rayvyn is on a distinguished road

It might be switchable but I can't figure out how it would be done... The drag screw seems unmovable and if it is it seems destined to remain a right handed reel... Still trying to date my St. George as well so going to try a decent photo layout in the reel section of the forum... If anyone sees how to switch it in the photos, please drop me a line... THX all...