Can't tell my left from my right??

Rayvyn

Reaction score
I am a bit dumbfounded today in trying to figure out what side reel I use... My father was right handed and I am right handed... I have always held my spinning rods with my right hand and cranked the reel with my left... In looking over my father's fly rig however, his crank is on the right side of the reel so he would have had to have held the rod in the left and cranked with the right...

The question is, was I doing it right (i.e. correct) or was he?? In other words, should I be buying a right or left handed reel to be fishing the way I have been (rod in the right - cranking with the left)...

Cowboy

Reaction score
Buy a reel that you are most comfortable cranking. I am one of those weirdos who cast right handed and reel right handed. In other words, I have to switch hands when I retreive my cast. Also, I am not real good at cranking with my left hand. When I am casting a fly, I cast with my right hand and retrieve line by stripping with my left hand. But, when I wind the fly line back on the to reel, I have to switch hands, because my fly reel is right handed.

Reaction score
Im one of the wierd as well, Its never been a problem. Ive seen guides and even some of the old pros who do it the same way "cast right reel right" funny thing is...... i play the six string left handed!

Rayvyn

Reaction score
I don't think I could do it any other way so I'll have to continue cranking with my left... The problem is however, I don't know what they call that so don't know which reel to buy - a right or a left handed reel???

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Rayvyn,

Most fly reels are changeable from right to left hand. Any good fly shop will set up the reel the way you want it. It is not hard to switch so you can try both ways and see which you like best. Since you are just learning I think you can learn either way. I am right handed and cast with my right hand. For 50 years I reeled with my left hand. As I got older I found I couldn't wind fast enough with my left hand so I switched to right hand winding. With the new large Arbor reels I have switched back to left hand winding. The only place it really makes a difference is with big fish that run a lot and saltwater fishing. Saltwater is where you get the real runners and right hand winding is important for a Right hander. Again the large arbor reels for salt water have made a big difference in our my ability to wind fast.

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
I'm right handed, cast with my right, reel with my left. Like Frank said, most reels are switchable. REMEMBER, the if you switch your reel around, if the line was put on correctly for the way you were using it, you will have to pull it all off and re-reel it back on after switching it.

waterman

Reaction score
I agree, go with what's comfortable, what feels right to you.

Fly fishing I cast with the right, crank with the left.
Spincast, cast right, crank left.
Baitcast, I cast right, crank right. (switch hands)

Personally I think it would be an advantage to be able to cast or crank with either hand. (not that I can :) )

Fish On!

Michael

BigCliff

Reaction score
No worries Cowboy, turns out I'm weirder still. On my lighter fly rods, (6wt and below) I have them set up for left hand crank, and my big rod (9wt) is set up for right hand crank. I do this because the larger fish I would use the 9wt for are more likely to make a fast run back to me/the boat, requiring that I pick up lots of line quickly. With the lighter rods, I am changing the amount of line I have out more frequently, so it help to have the crank operated by the non-rod hand.

Reaction score
Thats an excelent reminder! I was teaching a guy once and he was having a hell of a time winding in line,I checked out his reel and found he had set up backwards and was winding against the drag wich wast tightened all the way down.

Rayvyn

Reaction score
I just need to know which one I should look to buy if I reel the reel with my left hand... Is that a left handed reel or a right??

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Rayvyn,

There are not left or right hand reels unless you are getting a special reel like an anti-reverse. There are a couple of exceptions but you won't be looking at them.

If you want a reel to wind with your left hand just tell the dealer you want it set up for left hand winding. You can tell how a reel is set up by setting the drag to high resistance and then see which direction the drag works. The line pulling off the reel has to work against the drag. When you wind there should be no resistance.

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
Hi Rayvyn,

There are not left or right hand reels unless you are getting a special reel like an anti-reverse. There are a couple of exceptions but you won't be looking at them.

If you want a reel to wind with your left hand just tell the dealer you want it set up for left hand winding. You can tell how a reel is set up by setting the drag to high resistance and then see which direction the drag works. The line pulling off the reel has to work against the drag. When you wind there should be no resistance.
What Frank is telling you is most reels can be set up either way. Swing by a fly shop and have someone show you.

Reaction score
if your ordering it on line order a left hand, alomost every reel can be easily changed to left or right. If your not comfortable doing it yourself any outfitter or fly shop will do it for you

Joni

Reaction score
Most common is cast right handed, reel left. Right hand retrieve is used alot on Saltwater cause most people can reel faster with there right (if they are right handed that is)
Most reels come set-up left hand retrieve and with the addition of Large Arbors, you can still bring in a lot of line with your left hand.
Being a new comer, you are moldable, go with what feels good.

Rayvyn

Reaction score
The reel I have seems to be an exception... The Hardy St George has the guide mounted at the front and forces the crank to the right... I'll probably have to sell that for a left capable reel but not sure if I call the St George a right or left when I end up listing it for sale...

ezamora

Reaction score
to clarify what frank said, and what you specifically asked, if you want to reel with your left hand, buy a reel set up for left hand wind, or LHW, as it's often labeled.

in the end, most reels (except 20+ year older ones) are reversible. they usually come set up initially to wind with the left hand but not all. i've bought about 4 reels in new condition over the past few years and all were set up for left hand wind out of the box. only two used ones, both about 50 years old, were set up for right handed wind but the seller reversed one for me, i did the other. it's usually a very simple operation.

eric
fresno, ca.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
The reel I have seems to be an exception... The Hardy St George has the guide mounted at the front and forces the crank to the right... I'll probably have to sell that for a left capable reel but not sure if I call the St George a right or left when I end up listing it for sale...
Rayvyn,

Well now you didint say you had a St George. I never had a St George but I did have a Hardy Perfect. I think the St George came in a left hand model and a right hand model. I don't think your reel is switchable from right had wind if that is the model you have. Just use it as a right hand reel. Pictured are the St George left and right hand wind.

ezamora

Reaction score
st george huh? is it about 3 inches in diameter? yup, if the line guard is set up for use as a right handed wind, that's pretty much problematic for ya especially since i WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend you stick with left hand winding and like frank said, i'm pretty sure st georges came in one or the other version, not changeable. yup, yup, yup, you'll be too confused and lose SO many fish trying to figure out which way to wind. in fact, i'd be willing to help you out. i'd be GLAD to send you an very good condition made in ENGLAND orvis battenkill disc 3/4 set up for left hand winding in exchange for that st george which is COMPLETELY useless to you. know that i would give it a good home, if it's in fine workable condition of course :)

eric
fresno, ca.

Rayvyn

Reaction score
It might be switchable but I can't figure out how it would be done... The drag screw seems unmovable and if it is it seems destined to remain a right handed reel... Still trying to date my St. George as well so going to try a decent photo layout in the reel section of the forum... If anyone sees how to switch it in the photos, please drop me a line... THX all...