The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: The new Hardy's

Casey, I too was comparing them but, perhaps, more criticaly. As I have said before, I have yet to find a perfect reel (no pun intended on the Perfect, which I find low in line capacity and too loud despite its obvious charms). I hope that if we intelligently discuss the shortcomings of the quality products designed for fly fishing that the makers will take heed and continue to refine and redesign their offerings.

I am taking a new reel fishing tomorrow which claims to be "the best". I'll report upon my return in a week.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I hear that, don't forget that the graying hair is thinning as well.............................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2011, 06:38 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I hear that, don't forget that the graying hair is thinning as well.............................
THINNING???

My head molted about 20 years ago and still no sign of pin-feathers.

Dave
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
The Hardy has a sealed multi-disc array while the Waterworks has a non-sealed brace of nestled cones
Maybe I'm late to the party, but has Waterworks' claim that their drag is "fully sealed" been debunked?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:08 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

In an earlier thread it was pointed out by a user that the Waterworks reels were sealed only when assembled. Removing the spool, as in clearing contamination following an accidental dunking in marl, sand or mud, exposes the one-way bearing and thus presumably the cones as well to the elements. I have never used one of their reels because of the too (for me) wide and shallow aspect ratio so I know little of the inner workings but if the above is inaccurate please correct me as I would not want to misslead anyone or disseminate false information.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

I am going to go to their web-site and do some homework. S+S
Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 PM

OK, Tim, a very knowlegeble technical person at Waterworks explained that all fly reels that claim "sealed drag" are using the term a bit like "water proof". Any drag that can be user dissassembled is not really "sealed". Waterworks are functionally sealed when assembled, less so with the spool removed. Tim suggested that, due to the open skeleton design of their reels, the spool need not be removed to rinse a befouled reel; sand or mud can simply be swished off with the reel assembled protecting the one-way bearing and drag elements.

Regarding my issue with their wide/shallow aspect ratio; Tim acknowleged that with trout fishing, uneven line retrieval is usually not a big issue, however, with salmon, steelhead and, even more so, saltwater speedsters, extra attention is clearly required to regain backing and line in such a way as to not jam a pillar. A new model, he hinted, is soon to be introduced to address this concern...remeber reel guys, you heard it first from sweetandsalt.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree that they look pretty amazing for the price, but I'm also one that would prefer they be less bright.

Now make the click version with nice tough/dull type 3 anodization (aka "hard alox") and you've got the perfect small stream reel.

(but that probably would add $20, and they figured hitting a price point was more important)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
THINNING???

My head molted about 20 years ago and still no sign of pin-feathers.

Dave
Best way I think I ever heard it put.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

The finish is too bright for me.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:37 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'm reading posts that people don't like them because they're too bright. Seriously, how long do you think it'll be before it starts to dull. Unless they use a clear coat. Plus, I really doubt the fish will complain if they're too bright.
But you have to like what you throw.