The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: The new Hardy's

I am with Mojo here; not to play down the importance of aesthetics but performance is the key factor in fly reel design. I agree the finish is too bright...write Hardy and e-mail and tell them so! It happens to be a much better reel than numerous others with darker or duller finishes. Mojo, I am confident it is clear hard anodized and will stay shiney, never to develop the patina of a pre-war St. George.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:29 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I am with Mojo here; not to play down the importance of aesthetics but performance is the key factor in fly reel design. I agree the finish is too bright...write Hardy and e-mail and tell them so! It happens to be a much better reel than numerous others with darker or duller finishes. Mojo, I am confident it is clear hard anodized and will stay shiney, never to develop the patina of a pre-war St. George.
Nothing that a little camo spray paint won't cure.
But then again, I like shiny little things. And it's a new Hardy. So let it shine.
Grand Funk Railroad - Shinin On - YouTube
Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
OK, Tim, a very knowlegeble technical person at Waterworks explained that all fly reels that claim "sealed drag" are using the term a bit like "water proof". Any drag that can be user dissassembled is not really "sealed". Waterworks are functionally sealed when assembled, less so with the spool removed. Tim suggested that, due to the open skeleton design of their reels, the spool need not be removed to rinse a befouled reel; sand or mud can simply be swished off with the reel assembled protecting the one-way bearing and drag elements.

Regarding my issue with their wide/shallow aspect ratio; Tim acknowleged that with trout fishing, uneven line retrieval is usually not a big issue, however, with salmon, steelhead and, even more so, saltwater speedsters, extra attention is clearly required to regain backing and line in such a way as to not jam a pillar. A new model, he hinted, is soon to be introduced to address this concern...remeber reel guys, you heard it first from sweetandsalt.
Cheers!