The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 06:50 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default The new Hardy's

Excellent in the ballpark prices for the new Ultralights.
http://www.hardynorthamerica.com/
Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new Hardy's

Nicely done by Hardy, only wish they would make one without the bright and shiny finish.

Thanks for the post Mojo

Dave
Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Nice looking reel.. Thanks for the post.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:46 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I agree about the bright finish...a little more muted, say about the same as on the reel seat of the Hardy Zenith that they are the natural match for. They are very smooth and consistant performers, I used one all last season. And they have a big +; though extra large arbored, they also feature a NARROW spool width thus avoiding the potential for uneven line build up common on the shallow and wide large arbor reels.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice looking reels and the price point looks great!

Larry

Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great design, but the BLING might look out of place in the 'Burbs. If you have gold crowns on your front teeth, this would be ideal! I was thinking that maybe Hardy would tone down the finish after a while, but they do have some flashy reels....
Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Time marches on and the reel designers & makers at Hardy along with it so it seems. I'm glad I developed a taste for the old style reels. I read the text on the introduction page and then looked at the reel cases sitting on my desk and realized that none of my reels are 'aggressive or sexy' This led to deeper thoughts about all my tackle and I'm afraid none of it meets that criteria

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

not bad, not bad.
being a lamson guy, i can appreciate the radical design of these reels.
although i wouldn't classify any of lamsons as "sexy", they do share some of the new age aesthetics of the new hardy's.
a far cry from the reels ard adores, but as they say, beauty is in they eye of the beholder.

casey

ARFE
Old 12-02-2011, 02:28 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

This is why Hardy has no intention of dumping their classics. When you go to their site you actually have to click on seperate catagory tabs for the classic and new performance reels. And I don't consider it odd at all to use a click and pawl Hardy with patina on a small stream and a (too) shiney, sealed multi-disc drag on a bigger water outfit where rapid retrieve and more powerfull drag is advantagous.

Regarding the above comparison to the Waterworks reels: True, they are both modern light weight skeleton designs but the principal diffrences are in the drag design and the all-important aspect ratio. The Hardy has a sealed multi-disc array while the Waterworks has a non-sealed brace of nestled cones and the Hardy is narrow for uniform and intuitive line retreaval while the Waterworks is wide and shallow requiring attention be paid to avoid uneven line build-up. I do believe the Hardy designers looked carefully at the competion and strove to improve the performance envelop rather than just have a new price point product.

Lastly, Hardy Reels, I find it implausable that any aspect of a sport featuring grey haired men in baggy waders wandering around in cold water at dawn can ever legitimatly be described as "sexy".
Old 12-02-2011, 03:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Regarding the above comparison to the Waterworks reels: True, they are both modern light weight skeleton designs but the principal diffrences are in the drag design and the all-important aspect ratio. The Hardy has a sealed multi-disc array while the Waterworks has a non-sealed brace of nestled cones and the Hardy is narrow for uniform and intuitive line retreaval while the Waterworks is wide and shallow requiring attention be paid to avoid uneven line build-up. I do believe the Hardy designers looked carefully at the competion and strove to improve the performance envelop rather than just have a new price point product.
i was merely comparing the design similarities between the two.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

good point on the spool design of the hardys.

ARFE