The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 PM

dans89 is on a distinguished road
Default What does this mean?

A complete newbie question, but what does this mean? 70 yds./20lb./WF4. My new reel is supposed to be here tomorrow, and I'm not sure how much backing to put on it. I have 30 yds of WF4 F line and its going on this reel Cabela's: Cabela's Prestige Plus Fly Reel

thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: What does this mean?

That means that the reel's spool will fit 70yds of 20lb test dacron backing with weight forward 4 weight fly line, I believe! If you can, have the backing and line spooled at a fly shop or one of the big box shops. If that's not an option, make sure to put some tension on the backing spool when spooling it on the reel, otherwise you can end up with some pretty wicked tangles/knots.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 AM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough

howdy,

70 yds./20lb./WF4 means:

the reel will hold 70 yards of 20 pound test backing when used with a wf4 fly line.

if you want to use wf6 fly line on that reel, for example, you would need to remove some backing to accommodate the large diameter of the wf6 line. perhaps it would look something like this for wf6 line: 50 yds./20lb./WF6
Old 12-02-2011, 12:36 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Forget about what the manufacturer says. Do the following instead and you will get exactly the correct amount of backing onto the spool.

The best way to fit line and backing onto a reel is to first put it on backwards to get the proper line to spool clearance of 1/4" from the top of the spool. The 1/4 inch spacing insures that you will not over fill the spool even if you are a bit sloppy in reeling in the line and leader during fishing.

Start the front end of the fly line onto the spool and wind it all on the spool. Then tie the dacron backing onto the end of the fly line with an Albright knot. Now wind on the backing over the fly line and continue until there is 1/4" of free space between the backing and the top edge of the reel spool. Cut off the excess backing and take the backing and fly line off of the. Wind the backing and fly line back onto the spool in the proper order and the front end of the fly line will be 1/4 " from the top of the spool.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 PM

dans89 is on a distinguished road

Awesome! Thanks guys.