The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 07:05 AM

Rayvyn is on a distinguished road
Default Help Dating My Hardy St. George...

Hello all... I have been trying to date an old Hardy reel (St George) for some time now with not so good results... I shot some new and hopefully better photos yesterday in the hopes someone might be able to help...

The details I KNOW are that my dad owned this reel since the 60's... He was a huge fan of fly fishing and owned a closet full of fly fishing stuff... Oddly however, only one reel and one rod... The rest was fly tying equipment and supplies which he trashed long - long ago... When he passed away all I found was the rod and reel which I tossed in my closet and did nothing with... Recently however I decided to do something with it... The rod is a 1962 (I think) Fenwick Feralite FF86 an 8' 6" in an aluminum tube with a Scottish green plaid sock... The rod is either a 1962 or 1969 and it is like brand new...

The reel, as you can see, is not like brand new... It is weathered, worn and like most others I have seen that were used along the way but it seems to work as smooth as silk... I am not sure what the drag screw does but in or out on this one, it doesn't seem to do alot?? There are no serial numbers on the reel anywhere... There is a pat # on the brass mount, a "Brit Pat" # on the side of the reel under the model name and "Hardy Pat" written under the circular line guide... The Model name area is directly opposite the Hardy name area and both are written with the arc of the reel... It also shows 3" as the reel size... There is a clear grey material in the circular line guide (no chips, no cracks)... The reel was originally enamel black and the crank handle is black... The spool hub has three screws in it which seems to be somewhat rare in those I have seen (on Ebay and what not)... On the opposite side, the rivet locations and number are also rare on those I have been able to find out there (ebay again)... As a matter of fact, the only two others I have found that were identical were these two (one reissue and one vintage with no specific dating)...

Hardy Fly Reels & Phoenix Silk Lines for Wagner Bamboo Fly Rods
(see "NEW! 3" Hardy St. George Limited Edition Reel")

West Slope Classic Fly Tackle - Hardy - 3" St. George
(no specific dating)

I am sure the one I have is no reissue but I sure would like to know when it was made before I do anything with it... It would help if there were initials inside of it but as you probably already guessed from the difficulty I am having dating it - there are no initials stamped inside (from what I can see)...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Help Dating My Hardy St. George...

The inside of the reel looks like a 1960. Here is a photo of a 1960 and the guts look just like your reel. So yours is probably around that date. Your reel has a very poor finish. The asking price for the one pictured here is $450. Have you thought about having Hardy refinish it for you?

Old 06-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Thanks Frank,

Not sure from just those pictures but it looks as if the inside of yours is painted enamel black and mine is just silver metal... There also appears to be no waves in the top of the brass mounting foot like mine... In addition, mine has the word stamping in the half circle type arcs at the top and bottom and not all strait type only at the top... Not sure if that make mine older or younger but still not quite a match... Thank you for the 1960 version however so at least I know what it is not...

Anyone know when these different types (letter fonts and arcing / strait lettering) were used??
Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 AM

Just heard back from Hardy and they say my reel is "a pre-war St. George reel, made between 1925 and 1938"... The question now becomes how much should I sell it for??
Old 06-30-2007, 05:37 PM

In case anyone is interested, I put it on ebay... I think I have about as many answers as I may get on this reel so figured I'd put it out there and see what happens... I have listed it with a reserve so I don't lose it to a too low bid... I might not be too smart but I like to think I am honest so I listed it as accurately as I could both for me as well as any potential buyer...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 PM

charles alexander is on a distinguished road

I have a reel that sounds similiar to yours,same era.No color.brass ribbed reel seat.ventilated spool is approx 2-7/8 in.

Inscription on multiplyer case:The ''st george reel'' Pat no 24243

Body:made by hardy bros.ltd.Alnwick England

Inside reel body has initals JAJ reel builder?]

I'd post pics,but I' can't find the info on the site...Help? thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Charles,

Check the reel release and see if it has 3 screws or 2. The older reels have the 3 screw. Also does yours have the Agate guide ring or is it solid steel? If you have your pictures posted on the Internet somewhere, you can copy and past the picture into your message. It won't work if you have the picture just on your PC. Steve has said that the photo gallery will be working soon and then you can use that. I don't know when it will be available.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:43 AM

Good morning!
Yes the reel has three screws,and the guide is agate.Here are the pics AND description
Hardy st ''george'' multiplyer fly reel

Feel a bit funny about posting a''for sale''on this site,as I'm not intending to.
Just trying to gather info,and determine if the price right...or not.

Thanks for the reply!...Good fishing to all!

Charles A
Old 07-03-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles alexander View Post
I have a reel that sounds similiar to yours,same era.No color.brass ribbed reel seat.ventilated spool is approx 2-7/8 in.

Inscription on multiplyer case:The ''st george reel'' Pat no 24243

Body:made by hardy bros.ltd.Alnwick England

Inside reel body has initals JAJ reel builder?]

I'd post pics,but I' can't find the info on the site...Help? thanks
Here is your builder's info... Not sure if that helps but it is at least something (hopefully)...

Hardy - Alnwick, England - Tackling the World
Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 AM

Thanks rayvyn.I'm trying to determine the availability of these reels.They're out there somewhere....I've been net surfing for quite awhile,and haven't found out very much.Thanks....cheers!