The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 09:12 PM

knothome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: More ALLEN

Hello all! I've been lurking around this forum for a while, mostly b/c of the information I've been able to find on real experience with fly equipment. After reading all the reviews, I'd really like to upgrade my current/ first reel- a standard arbor, click paw 7/8 to an Alpha 7/8, but being just out of school and paying back school loans, they're a little out of my price range new. Any chance anyone is looking to make space by selling off a used one? In any case, thanks for the great reviews and information!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

who in thier right mind would let an Allen reel go... go new you wont regret saving up. welcome to the board.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothome View Post
Hello all! I've been lurking around this forum for a while, mostly b/c of the information I've been able to find on real experience with fly equipment. After reading all the reviews, I'd really like to upgrade my current/ first reel- a standard arbor, click paw 7/8 to an Alpha 7/8, but being just out of school and paying back school loans, they're a little out of my price range new. Any chance anyone is looking to make space by selling off a used one? In any case, thanks for the great reviews and information!

Knothome, Welcome to the board. Send me an email info@allenflyfishing.com

Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Hopefully the new anti reverse reel comes out soon. Will give me an exuse to buy a matching Allen rod.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Hopefully the new anti reverse reel comes out soon. Will give me an exuse to buy a matching Allen rod.

Its going to have to wait. Were working on another round of prototypes. Only in the redesign stages. We didn't like a few things on it.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:39 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Since my Last Posting on this Thread I have bought another Allen Reel from one of our members bringing my tally to 3,though not as many as Joni,even though it's a Series I it's also a Beaut Reel.
The only problem I found with The Series I 7/8 Reel I have is there was too much clearance/gap at the back of The Spool so I made a Washer from a piece of rubber Sheeting I cut with Wad Punches & fitted it to fill the Gap,it works fine & the bottom line is I've also caught fish on it as well as the other two as I occassionally change them around on my Normal 9Ft 6 & 10 Ft Rods I use when Night Fishing,so if their Rods are as good as I've found their Reels they are also worth trying.
Brian.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

im considering buying an allen reel for my 9 weight. are they completely sealed? would it be good enough for tarpon?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

I'd rather wait and get the best product. And I have confidence that you guys are going to give me that.thanks for keeping me up to speed.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Robert, I assume you're planning on going after baby tarpon with the 9wt? I would say that an Alpha II 9/10 would likely hold its own just fine against a baby tarpon. Give me a few months and I'll likely be able to let you know, but I'm likely not going to be spending much time targeting the little ones...
mbphotos54 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 AM

sinc will become famous soon enough

Just bought an Allen Model 1 "Trout." It's a beautiful and light reel. But I'm coming back to fly fishing after a 30-year sabbatical, and this reel seem quite wide. Aesthetically wide doesn't seem as pleasing as narrow. But aesthetics change, and it has been 30 years. Is there some rational reason that a wider reel is desirable?