The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default More ALLEN

I just wanted to give thanks again to ALLEN flyfishing. I now have six reels. Three are older. One of the older no longer had a drag but I thought it was my fault. I didn't give it much thought as I have a couple Vosselers that are drag free.
One day I get an e-mail from Evan saying he would like to fix that drag and upgrade the other reels...out of the blue!
So, after using the reels all summer I boxed them mup and shipped them off. 7 days later, there they are on my poarch all fixed and tuned up.

I say thank you, and awesome customer service Evan.

I will be buying more!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More ALLEN

Wow, that is excellent customer service!

Larry

Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

all i hear is Allen dos business right
Old 12-07-2011, 11:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I have to echo Joni's sentiments, Allen has the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with and Evan and Justin are both great. I'm definitely locked in as an Allen customer, I just have to decide what's coming next: a 7/8 Alpha II, a 3wt and matching Trout reel, or a spey rod... decisions, decisions!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yea, those guys have a good thing going there. top notch for sure!
i'm just looking forward to see what they come up with next
good job guys

casey

ARFE
Old 01-26-2012, 10:46 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Anyone have experience with the Allen 3/4 Trout Reel. Looking for a reel for the 8'9" 4wt I just built. Used a TFO Finesse blank and the green Trout Reel I think would be a pretty sharp looking combination.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntrout View Post
Anyone have experience with the Allen 3/4 Trout Reel. Looking for a reel for the 8'9" 4wt I just built. Used a TFO Finesse blank and the green Trout Reel I think would be a pretty sharp looking combination.

not a 3/4 but I have two 5/6's and love them.

I do have two of his old 3/4 XL's that I also enjoy.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:53 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

I figure you can't compare these reels with those that cost 2-3 times as much, but was wondering how the anodizing has held up. At a 4wt its pretty much there to just hold line, but I'd be bummed if the anodize scratches off too easily. thanks

Last edited by auntrout; 01-27-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I have two 9/10s one is The older version which I haven't used much,the other an Allen II the latter is a beaut Reel which I use it with a 9'6" 6-7 Rod,it not only balances good because it's Skeletonised & light,also being a larger diameter I find it easier to get the line back on the Spool when I hook Fish with my shoulder,neck & finger problems, it does the job as good as the more expensive Reels which I have a few of,the finish is still fine as I've only to date used it late evenings/night time so I've really given it a good test run over the last month or so..
The only problem I've had is The Back cover plate fell off whilst Fishing,at this stage I've seached & haven't found it,I'm still seaching however I think one of the larger Birds could have taken it.
Brian.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: More ALLEN

That answers a personal question. Need to purchase a few (new) reels for my one hander's (load up old Teeny Nymph lines) and scratching my head as to where/whose/etc.

I think I just got my question answered.

Fred