The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 10:12 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth it too upgrade reels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I have three of those reels and they work fine for 4 or 5 wt rods. I say, if it's working, don't replace it. Use the cash for something else - upgrade your line if it's bad, buy flies or tying stuff, some other gear, use it as money for a fishing trip, whatever. Unless you're worried about tying into a stealhead or salmon on your trout stream get some more life out of the Cabelas reel.
+1

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 12-11-2011, 12:49 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Those little reels will handle large trout and steelies over 10 lbs...If you want to upgrade (as I have done) for whatever reason, that's your choice, but don't do it because you think the reel will fail you in some way. It won't.

this fish was landed (quickly) on the 4/5 model and 8.5 ft 3 wt...
Click the image to open in full size.

as was this one...RS4 rod...
Old 12-15-2011, 01:42 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Nah mine isnt the Okuma Sierra mine is this one.

Im not sure if a new reel would make me more comfortable Im just still new enough to fly fishing that I dont know whats good and whats bad. I dont want to upgrade my leaking waders if my reel is actually a turd and likely to break. But I also dont want to upgrade a reel that works fine If i dont have too because I sometimes am unable to make it fishing as much as I like, which in turn means my gear is just sitting around collecting dust.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

When I was in college (late 60's - early 70's) I owned two rods and two reels. The simplicity of my tackle was vastly offset by the freedom and extent of my summer adventures. One year, 3 of us drove from up-state NY to Missoula, MT. It took us 9,000 miles to get there! Montana is actually 2,600 miles from NY but we ziged and zaged across Canada and the northern tier of the US from Provincial park to National park camping and fishing in every imaginable environment and for many species of fish. I still tell tales from that trip to this day but they are about the rich experiences we had not about tackle we accrued.

I have many rods and reels now ranging from #4 -12 and I still fish a fair bit but not with the spontanious freedom of the glorious trout bum days of my 20's. Take your collge education seriously but try to devise a way to free your summers for angling adventure. Spend your resources on fishing not tackle...you will aquire plenty of good gear , later.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Is it worth it too upgrade reels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Spend your resources on fishing not tackle...you will aquire plenty of good gear , later.
One of the wisest statements ever made on this forum
Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet & Salt speaks the truth. I had a very cheap outfit until I was 35-36, and upgraded to a $50 Browning rod. I still used the Olympic reel I bought when I was 16 (it's a Pflueger Medalist knock-off made in Japan). I still have that reel, and although it'll continue to work for years, I've moved on. The potential problem with the inexpensive disc drag reels is that they seem to fail more often than the more expensive models. The reports I've seen about reel failure on less expensive reels usually goes along the lines of,
"The drag seized up on the first fishing trip". It's a quality control thing: sometimes they just aren't put together right, or a bad disc gets put into the reel. If your reel has been fished without failure, and isn't showing signs of wear (loose spool, spool wobble, grinding noises, sticky drag), you're probably good. The Prestige model you have is a mid arbor, and that's good.

1970's Olympic reel. I didn't know this reel needed upgrading until I found the internet and a boutique fly fishing shop.

What you see on the picture above is all there is to that reel. It has an adjustable drag, but it's not a disc drag.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Frank, I have two of those, except mine are called Shakespeare omni 44s, same reel, just a different name on them. One is hanging on the first fly rod I ever bought, both up on the wall above my computer/tying desk. The other one is with my fishing gear in case I need it. Both still work, and both will still catch fish, and it is kinda cool sometimes to hook it to a rod and fish like I did when I couldn't afford a large arbor reel. I even have an old auto winding reel on an old bamboo rod, also hanging on the wall, but still able to be fished if the mood strikes me.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 PM

dans89 is on a distinguished road

@ Flyfisher117: I just bought the Cabela's Three forks/Prestige plus 4wt 5pc combo, and I have to say that you probably won't find a better reel for the money. I have to admit that I was skeptical at first, but I have given that reel a thorough inspection and I am quite impressed with the quality vs cost. I also own a Okuma Sierra 7/8 wt (picked it up on sale for 30 bucks) that is on my 6/7 wt rod, and the two reels are almost identical in the way they are constructed and function. I have read several reviews on the Cabela's reel, and other than the occasional quality control mis-hap, almost everyone that has bought one feels the same way that I do about it. If I were you, I would get that new pair of waders, or an extra spool and some line (spools can be had for about $30 for that reel) instead of worrying about it giving up on you. Just sayin...