The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough
Default Reel ? and help pick a new one

Just ordered a new rod finally after breaking mine on my last trip. So after I get some money together I want a new reel. I use the good old click reels, and would like to get a disk drag reel.

Can disk drag reels be reversed to reel with your right hand? I reel with my right hand and just could not figure out how to change over my girlfriends reel. When you would reel in the drag would be on, and the disk drag off when stripping line. It could just be that it is a cheap reel. It came with her rod.

looking for just options now, as the rod has killed my budget.

I want something large arbor, disk drag. Lets say I have right around 200 to spend on a reel and extra spool. That way I can have my float line and sink ready to go. What should I look at in your opinion?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:06 AM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reel ? and help pick a new one

KRD.... Orvis has a MID arbor Battenkill reel that I use and really like that should fit your budget and is reversable. You can download the instructions for reversing the drag at the Orvis web site.

The Ross Evolution is a killer large arbor reel but does not fit your budget.

I still have a Lamson 3W reel with a click drag that works fine!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:37 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
Just ordered a new rod finally after breaking mine on my last trip. So after I get some money together I want a new reel. I use the good old click reels, and would like to get a disk drag reel.

Can disk drag reels be reversed to reel with your right hand? I reel with my right hand and just could not figure out how to change over my girlfriends reel. When you would reel in the drag would be on, and the disk drag off when stripping line. It could just be that it is a cheap reel. It came with her rod.

looking for just options now, as the rod has killed my budget.

I want something large arbor, disk drag. Lets say I have right around 200 to spend on a reel and extra spool. That way I can have my float line and sink ready to go. What should I look at in your opinion?
KRD
1/ try the used market or ebay
2/ teton the best buy usa machined not spool disk but sufficient drag for 2-3 lb sustained
3/ Ross Big Game which is old model might get the reel in your price range but not extra spool

Have purchased fishing tackle on ebay from those with significant track record and good rating 96% or more positive...always good results.
Most modern large arbor/spool diameter 4" or more have conversion factor for left or right...just ask or go to manufact's web site.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:03 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

I've tried the pflueger summit in the store before. The guy working there said he has one and it's light for its weight. He uses 4wt line on it and its perfect.

Cabela's -- Pflueger Summit® Fly Reels
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 AM

shocktrooper32 is on a distinguished road

Bonefish is correct.

I have a Teton Tioga Magnum, it is a well made reel at a great price, Okuma also makes pretty good stuff but imported. Orvis has a line of Large Arbor reels in your range called Rocky Mountain . The only ones Id avoid are the Cabelas SLA reels, they are really pretty to look at and affordable but Ive mangled 2 of them.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:10 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

I was wondering about the cabelas Reels, Thanks for the input.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:55 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I'm always on a tight budget too, and I've been pleased with the mid to upper end of the Okuma line. I have 3 of the SLVs, which can be bought on eBay for around $50 for the reel and $25 for the spare spool. It has good line capacity and a nice drag, but it's a cast reel and the tolerances aren't as tight. The Vashon and Helios are higher end and machined aluminum, so if you can spend $200, you could easily get at least one reel and a spare, maybe two.

All these can easily be switched direction by simply reversing the one-way bearing on the spool shaft. Takes about a minute.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 07-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I have to say that I think buying an expensive reel to be an unnecessary expenditure.

I personally would recommend an Okuma Sierra. Great smooth drag system and a nice reel. We buy them here at Sportsmans Warehouse for $26.

Check them out.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 PM

hunter991 is on a distinguished road

i would agree on the okuma. Great real for the money!!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:55 PM

sfugarino will become famous soon enoughsfugarino will become famous soon enough

I have an Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor, an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock, and a Ross Rythmn. The Ross is by far the best of the three. It's very smooth and the drag is great. Still, for the money, either Orvis reel is a great buy. The mid may be one of the best values available.