The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Assembling your own reel

I came upon an online store today offering reel kits for sale.
All the necessary parts are already machined and drilled for assembly.
They are manufactured by a small firm for reel assembly classes and are fully functional. They look like the older style reels, some with solid plates in metal and delrin.

One of the metal machined reels sells for $250 assembled and the kit is only $125.

It certainly has an attraction for me - the idea of assembling your own fully functional reel has a certain allure to it.

Thoughts?? Has anyone ever bought their reel in parts and self assembled it?

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-12-2011, 03:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assembling your own reel

Saw another reference to the same thing and it got my 'curoisity' up. Not enough to go on line with my credit card considering the number of parts in a fly reel .... quite (personal opin. only) there was quite a disconnect between a bag of parts and the parts put together.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi.
The only things wrong are you are paying top Dollars then you have to assemble it,also really how good is their machining whereas if you buy a Reel already assembled if it's faulty you have a chance of a replacement as they have quality control & if it doesn't pass it's rejected.
Another thing if any damage is incured assembling or something is out you wear it as you will be told you caused the problem.
Brian.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent point(s) all, Brian, excellent points.
Fred
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

agreed. maybe i'll just get one of the new hardy's for my 3wt

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
agreed. maybe i'll just get one of the new hardy's for my 3wt
Naaa, if you want a 'high end reel' Google SpeyCo. All custom made and you could 'pound nails' with the one I have on my 3wt(s) for less money.

A good thing?
fae
Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Depending on how your taste runs in light duty reels..................... were I looking for a 3 weight reel I would save a search (on auction site) for a Martin MG-3 and hope to find one in mint condition. Light = yes, classic looks = yes, under 100 dollars = yes.......... they look and work pretty much like a Hardy featherweight and come at reduced cost.

Don't get the reel confused with any other Martin model, the MG-3 was their light weight Cadillac. I put a picture of mine on the Reel Love thread, could be made a better picture but it will give you the idea. Since it's December you have time, one may come up before too long if it does and if it is mint or unused don't plan on going cheap, people pay 75 dollars or more for them that's why I suggested 100 as a price line. There is a good reason people are paying 75 or more for them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My fishing partner made this reel from scratch out of a brass door kick plate

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:32 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
My fishing partner made this reel from scratch out of a brass door kick plate

Click the image to open in full size.
What about all the shoe marks on the door? Sorry Rip, I couldn't resist. That actually looks pretty cool. Any pictures of the spool?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Any pictures of the spool?
Nope, but there's no real drag to speak of anyway.
The spool is kept from freespooling by the pressure of a compression spring.