The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Does Anyone Own an Orvis Odyssey IV Reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
Hey Ard, I have an Odyssey IV. Beast of a reel. What was your issue?

Brady
Hi Brady,

I had sent it back to Orvis and they replaced the drag spindle and bushing. It works like new now, I knew there was something not right but without extra parts to install I was at a loss. They replaced the parts at no charge and as usual I am happy with their service.

Thank you for responding,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I am still curious, HR, what the variation is between the III & IV. Too, replacing the SPINDEL! and bushing? It might be Orvis thoroughnees - I've been impressed with thier reel repair dept. before - but this is not the drag; it is the reel's fundimental structure. Anyway, this is history now that all their new reels are made in China and are not intended to be repaired.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll get around to photographing the two reels and will then post the shots on Reel Love. The fundamental difference is the lug on the back of the spool that fits into the rulon gear. When I made the statement that they were very different I was misled because they only look different. In essence they work on the same draw bar and cork disc principle.

Whatever was causing the drag to skip (that's the best description I can give for what was wrong) went way beyond anything that I could figure out by visual inspection and or careful tinkering. The reel now works as it did when new, so.........all is well and the romance continues.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I am still curious, HR, what the variation is between the III & IV. Too, replacing the SPINDEL! and bushing? It might be Orvis thoroughnees - I've been impressed with thier reel repair dept. before - but this is not the drag; it is the reel's fundimental structure. Anyway, this is history now that all their new reels are made in China and are not intended to be repaired.
Their reels are made in South Korea and the new Mirage series of reels are just as nice, if not better than my Nautilus, Danielsson and Hatch reels...