The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Does Anyone Own an Orvis Odyssey IV Reel? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/220684-does-anyone-own-orvis-odyssey-iv-reel.html)

Hardyreels 12-24-2011 04:05 PM

Does Anyone Own an Orvis Odyssey IV Reel?

I have one and I have a question about the drag system. After I see if anyone else has this reel or has knowledge about them I'll contact you.

Thanks,

Ard

gt05254 12-24-2011 04:33 PM

Re: Does Anyone Own an Orvis Odyssey IV Reel?

Ard, send me a PM with your question if you like... my closest friend loves 'em, owns 'em, and is extremely knowledgeable about them (and reels in general), and we email back and forth daily, so I can easily forward your question.
Gary

sandfly 12-25-2011 06:34 AM

I don't but have always like them and would like to find a few for the right price..

Hardyreels 01-05-2012 12:19 AM

Hi Bob,

I hope your new year is off to a good start. I ended up sending my #IV back to Orvis to let them figure out the cork drag issue for me. The Odyssey II and the Odyssey III are very nice reels and they do not have the cork system that the IV has. My #III is just a joy to use and I've never had a problem with it. If I were looking I'd save a search on eBay and set up e-mail notification so any time one gets listed you'll get an e-mail. Often they are in unused condition and sell in the 100 - 225 range. I'll take a few pictures of my III and stick them on the Reel Love thread.

How's the weather up there?

Ard

sweetandsalt 01-05-2012 07:55 AM

Good Morning H-R, I just pulled my little-used Odyssey III out of the draw and dissasembled it. It is not only Orvis's best built reel ever but a very intelligent riff (via long-time Orvisite Jim LePage) on the classic draw-bar theme. Cork disc against a rulon disk instead of against the inner surface of the spool alows for the dual-dogs to engage gear teeth on the inner circumfrence of the drag plate - a unique and clever set-up. A dab of grease (SuperLube) on the dogs, light oil on the treaded parts and Neats Foot Oil on the cork once a year and it should be good to go.

I was, however, unaware that there were differences in design between the III and IV...please keep us posted. And, if it has failed you, it does not belong in your "Reel Love"... that is for reels you love!

Hardyreels 01-07-2012 01:02 PM

Well..........I do like the reel but this drag thing has been a problem. I just received an e-mail from the Orvis repair people and hopefully they will get this sorted out for me. In the mean time I'll take a few pictures of the Odyssey III and put it on the thread. It has never skipped a beat :D

sweetandsalt 01-09-2012 10:22 AM

I am still curious as to the design difference between the III & IV?

I have a pleasant reel delema no one can assist me with. My wife and I, while visiting her mother in Florida this coming weekend, have booked a day with a guide specializing in Biscayne Bay. I have looked forward to fishing this extrensive flats environment in the shadow of Miami for a long time and the guide has recomended we sport #9 rods. I have narrowed my rod choice down to one of two rods wth the G.Loomis GLX Crosscurrent leading by a nose...but which reel from my arsenal gets the privilage of mating up with it? I will report later.

Hardyreels 01-09-2012 10:36 AM

I am going to take some photos later today and they will end the mystery. It seems that the reels use the same rulon gear / disc with the cork backing. The disc are compressed against the back plate of the reel cage by compression. The compression is created by the spool being drawn tighter toward the back side of the frame as you increase the tension using the knob. You already know how that works.

The difference, which I thought was great at first glance is the bearing or 'lug' setup on the back of the spools. My Odyssey III is considerably different than the #IV and it was that difference in appearance that prompted me to say (incorrectly) that the reels had drag configurations that were completely different from one another. They are in fact similar but with a subtle difference in their look as you dismantle the reel.

bradyb 01-24-2012 02:01 PM

Hey Ard, I have an Odyssey IV. Beast of a reel. What was your issue?

Brady

sweetandsalt 01-24-2012 03:57 PM

RE: My above post: The South African-built Magla 9/10 rigged with a RIO #9 Tarpon Taper got the nod. Partly because I like that slightly heavy line with the potent Crosscurrent but also because the Magla is a purposfull beast with a big game oriented draw-bar, cork drag. Everything balanced and cast together beautifuly but 45 degree previous evening temps and 25+MPH wind keept thoes big bones off the Biscayne flats...but that is Winter bonefishing for you.

I'll be in attendance at the Somerset Fly Fishing Show this weekend and plan on spinning and shaking and peeking under the hood of all the new gear.