The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM

fort_mchenry is on a distinguished road
Default Tioga 8LA reel

I would like someone to tell me where I can ascertain the maintenanced and specifications for this reel. I have owned it for a number of years and used it in Florida and lost the information during the move to Kentucky. I figure it can handle freshwater as well as saltwater. If not, I figure someone well tell me.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:01 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tioga 8LA reel

I love the original Tiogas....when they were made in California. I almost cried when they sold out. I fish them in 8,10, and 12 weights, both standard and large arbor (the spools are interchangable). The drag is changed from left to right hand retrieve by simply loosening the "pawl", and swinging it to the other notch. The drag system is a layered delrin disc system that is competely sealed and maintainence free. All I ever do is rinse the reel and spool with tap water, dry it well, and lightly oil the spindle.

Saltwater is no problem.

The large arbor holds a bit less backing than the standard arbor, but I still get 150 yards of 30 pound micron on my eight weight LA with am 8 weight WF line.

When the company sold out, one person bought out all the spare parts they had. I head his name and contact info., but after a computer crash I lost it ( I now run a weekly back up on an exterior hard drive). I think if you do a comp search under "tioga parts repairs", his name comes up.

I am trying to decide what to do with mine. I love them, but with out the warranty support, I am thinking of selling them.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Try this website " Support ".

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:51 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tioga 8LA reel

Do a forum search, "Teton/Tioga Reels", should be a couple threads from last year with info. milt.