The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Any thoughts on the new LL Bean 'Pocket Water' reel

for the price of 79 bones for a fully machined click/pawl reel is a great deal.
plus, beans warranty is second to none.

casey
trial153 likes this.

ARFE
Old 12-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Better late to a party than never showing up...........

When I first replied I had never seen one, I still haven't handled one but the pictures posted remind me of the 1980 - 1999 Orvis Battenkill clickers a little. They look like a good deal. If I recall the old battenkill sold for $85.00 so the price is right here. I have landed plenty of fish big and small on a Battenkill clicker size 3/4, great reels.
imxer and caseywise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Better late to a party than never showing up...........

When I first replied I had never seen one, I still haven't handled one but the pictures posted remind me of the 1980 - 1999 Orvis Battenkill clickers a little. They look like a good deal. If I recall the old battenkill sold for $85.00 so the price is right here. I have landed plenty of fish big and small on a Battenkill clicker size 3/4, great reels.
Actually, I think the styling is a little more elegant than those old Battenkills. And they're made of machined barstock.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I ended up picking one of these guys up and fishing it over the summer. It's a well-made reel at an attractive price. I managed to land a nice carp with it on my 8'6" St Croix SCV 4wt down on Smith Mtn Lake in VA. It's definitely a capable reel; it's just too loud for me and I don't particularly care for the sound. So, my only complaint is a subjective one. At the price, it's awfully hard to beat, but it's been relegated to backup duty.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

I received my new LL Bean Pocket Water reel a few months ago and heartily recommend it. It's sturdily built and looks terrific. The reel I have weighs in at 3.8 oz and holds anything up to a DT 5 weight with a few yards of backing. The reel may be loud, but so are the Hardy's...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 AM

river19 is on a distinguished road

Got one of these coming, along with Bean's 6'6" 3wt pocket water rod.....needed a brookie rig and this is what I "landed" on. Once the temps get above 0 here in VT I'll be giving it a whirl.

From what I have gathered it is a solid reel for the price and relatively lightweight. I'm hoping the rod is decent as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by river19 View Post
Got one of these coming, along with Bean's 6'6" 3wt pocket water rod.....needed a brookie rig and this is what I "landed" on. Once the temps get above 0 here in VT I'll be giving it a whirl.

From what I have gathered it is a solid reel for the price and relatively lightweight. I'm hoping the rod is decent as well.
Let us know when you've fished it a bit. I look at them periodically and would love to hear some more info on them. Oh, and fish pictures too

By the way, welcome!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM

river19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Let us know when you've fished it a bit. I look at them periodically and would love to hear some more info on them. Oh, and fish pictures too

By the way, welcome!
Thanks. The combo should arrive this week and given the damn warm-ups we have been having this winter I might get some line wet in MA sooner rather than later. I'm looking forward to using it in the spring for the smaller streams/creeks.

I'm hoping to come through on the fish pics.....here's hoping....