The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 10:00 AM

bkshubert is on a distinguished road
Default A.L. Walker fly reel

Does anyone know what a TR3 is presently worth in used fine condition?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: A.L. Walker fly reel

One of the best ways to gage the market for such a reel is to search eBay for similar models. If you find any then save the item on your 'Watch List', see what they finish at price wise. If there are no reels like yours listed, choose the option to 'Save This Search', then follow the directions to set up an e-mail notification when reels like yours are listed for sale. When reels come for sale, put these on your watch list so you can see what they sell for.

You may be able to find independent forms of pricing to check also such as Clark's Classic Tackle, a web site. While there are many forms of market and marketing for vintage reels, the eBay method will demonstrate the prices people are willing to pay on a regular basis. I have done this 'watching' procedure many times; sometimes for weeks prior to selling an item at a fixed price. Choosing an average between the highest and lowest prices paid is always a good starting point. If the reel is mint condition or if it has been used to the point where the frame has developed a fine 'rubbed patina' then I lean toward to high end of the price range.

selling at auction can be a risky business. Fixed price items have a history of not selling while offering a reel worth several hundred dollars at a starting price of .99 can be both nerve racking and may result in either a high price finish or a steal for some lucky buyer. I do not have in mind an actual value for your reel but will guess that in 'fine condition' it would be at the upper end of the Walker reel sells at depending on the vintage.

Hope that helps,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-22-2012, 01:35 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

A bunch of money!! Depending on condition they can go for more than I paid for my truck and insurance for the year!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I don't know where you are located, but My father-in-law and I will be at the Somerset, NJ FlyShow this coming weekend. He is an expert in classic fly reels (Zwarg, Vom Hofes, Walkers, etc.) If you bring the reel to our booth (4 Points) I am sure he would be glad to look at it and give you a price.....maybe even an offer.

We will also be at the new Fly Show in Lancaster, PA in February.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Bash is correct, they can be worth thousands in the right condition and for the right model.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:21 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Here is a bit of specificity for you....

The TR series is the first ones Arthur made. The 2 1/2" Tr1 can be worth $2,000, the 2 3/4" Tr2 $1,800, the Tr3 3 in $1.700, the 3 1/4" TR 4 $1,600. Last Somerset show the TR 1 was $2,000, of course condition tells the tale. It doesn't show in the prices but the TR 2 is the rarest.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.