The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice
Default Allen Fly Fishing co's anti-reverse reel

I met with Justin the other day and sitting on his counter was a sharp new reel unlike any of the others he sells. I asked him about it and he described it as his baby in the making for over a year, an anti-reverse reel to compete with all the other expensive anti-reverse reels on the market for a fraction of the price. After drooling over it for a good 20 minutes, picking it up and putting it down ten times, he told me to take it and let him know what i think. i said "TAKE IT!!??!!, are you serious?" and so began my experience and love for this reel. Like a kid with a new toy the first 2 days this reel went EVERYWHERE with me, it even sat on my night stand next to me while i slept. I understand this is a prototype and not everything would be in perfect working order BUT i cant find a flaw anywhere in machining or in function, the tolerances are really tight due to it being fully machined and nothing flexes or rubs. This Reel is stout and awesome looking. On Saturday i lined the reel with some full sinking 8wt and went hunting for steelhead(alone because it was zero degrees out). During my outing i hooked up to one steelhead and found out how truly amazing this reel is. Even after dunking the reel in the water a couple times the drag didn't lose grip or slip, just silky smooth stopping power from very light all the way to full lock up without any flexing. Justin asked me not to show anyone the inside of the reel and if i were to take pictures, not to post any of the inside or back and i will respect that but he didn't say i couldn't show pictures of the front, so here it is. The prototype of Allen Fly Fishing co's anti reverse reel..........Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:46 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Allen Fly Fishing co's anti-reverse reel

I realize that it is a prototype, so things could change considerably. Here are my thoughts on first sight, having never seen or handled it in the real world.

Overall I like the look or style of the reel.

That one looks light it may weigh a good deal less than some other A/R’s.

Is that a Quick Release spool tab I see? That would be unique amongst the A/R’s I’m familiar with and a pretty good reason by itself for no gut shots.

I'd be interested to know the sizes ( capacities and diameters ) they’re thinking of producing them in.

They’re not going with a palming rim - yet? That’s a feature I’d appreciate if I was looking for my next A/R reel.

When I use my A/R for any length of time I tend to get a lazy cranking hand and I do brake from the crank side of the spool with my finger tips, rather than rotating my wrist under the reel to apply presure to the line between the pillars. The porting wouldn't allow me to have as much contact with the spools side plate as I'm use to with my A/R's solid faced spool. That's probably why you see a palming rim on the more modern Abel, Penn, Pate, Henshel A/R's that also feature a ported spool.

In the sizes nine weight and up, I wouldn’t mind seeing a paddle or gorilla grip on it. After all it’s an A/R, It’s not like the grip is going to attack the user on a screaming run.

Thanks for letting us get a preview of the Allen A/R.
TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 01-23-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:25 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

what is the appeal of an anti reverse reel?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
what is the appeal of an anti reverse reel?
Get a big fast fish on and you will know pretty fast.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i mean what specifically?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i mean what specifically?
yes I'd be interested to know what an anti reverse reel is/does
Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Specifically speaking, when big high speed fish takes off on you, the handle does not go flying backwards. You never get whacked in the knuckles, you never have to try and figure out where the handle is when it does stop burning line off so you don't have to take your eyes off what the fish is doing. I'm sure we can all survive without them, but they are really nice on a seriously big fast fish. I have not heard the term 'Surgeon's reel' in a while, but they have been called that because of the finger protecting aspect of the reels.

You can only see about 2/3's of the reel in this photo, buy it's my big Penn anti-reverse reel. I Love it.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
yes I'd be interested to know what an anti reverse reel is/does
The handle doesn't spin backward with the spool. No busted knuckles.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 PM

and i imagine they are expensive?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned

Alas, I fear they are. From the sounds of it, the Allen one might not put to bad a dent in the piggy bank.