The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 02:55 AM

sinc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hardy Ultralite DD

I recently bought a Hardy Ultralite CC 2000. It's a great reel. After looking at dozens of reels, this one seems the best at any price.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Welcome, I too am new to the forum. I have just recently bought a Lamson Guru 2.0 for my 5wt. All I read about it, it's hard to beat for the $'s. I also like to Ross Evolution reels. You can find some awesome deals on line, ebay etc... Good luck!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 AM

tbroberts is on a distinguished road

I read many comments that the Hardy Ultralite is made in China. Having just bought one online for my Winston B3x, I hope they're wrong. Though these reels are not English made, it is my understanding that they come from Korea and supposedly are "just as good if not better than the English made reels". I am planning to purchase a Hardy Perfect 3 1/8 that is still made in England for a 5 wt. cane rod that is currently being made for me in Penn. I understand why companies "sell out" to cheap labor in other countries, and I hate it. But as materialistic Americans, what are our choices? Maybe we should bombard Orvis with petitions to stop having their reels made in Asia and England. What happened to good ol' Made in the USA? It sold out for the sake of making more money. It's time to take our country back people! There are things that mean more than money.

--Thomas Roberts
labradorguy likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:50 AM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 has a spectacular aura aboutMAD777 has a spectacular aura about

I have a Hardy DD 6000 for my 7 wt. and love it. Very strong, smooth drag. One complete turn of the drag knob will stop any fish. The spool is held on by a screw, like a watch with a screw down crown, not a common clip. The 4.11" diameter reel is heavenly when reeling in.

I have the matte black finish which weighs in at 155 grams on my scale or 5.46 oz. The advertised weight is 5.29 oz.; perhaps the black coating explains the difference. The interior width of the spool is only 7/8" wide (1-1/8" exterior) and the arbor is a bit rounded. This geometry helps keep the line nicely stacked on the spool as opposed to some super side spools.

It has a subdued click going both in and out, which I really like. The foot is held on with 2 screws. The sticker on the reel reads, "Made in Korea." It comes with a nylon covered, neoprene pouch.

My only criticism is that the knob handle is a bit small and smooth. I like a large, flat, knurled knob but then I have very large hands.

Fit & finish are excellent and the tolerances are tight as can be. It performs as beautifully as it looks. I am so happy with it that I have a Hardy cc3000 ordered and it should arrive today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MAD777; 08-07-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

MAD777 has it right on. If you go to "Reel Love" above in this Forum and look at my post of yesterday, I feature three trout reels including U DD and two of its contending competitors. While all three reels I wrote about are 1st rate and I did not try to compare them in my write up, if I did one winning design trait of the Hardy would be its captive, threaded spool retainer...far superior to any spring loaded latch or button. Also the Hardy employs a stacked drag system which utilizes both sides of it carbon drag elements making for a strong and compact drag assembly. In trout reels, smooth, linear and fine tunable trump strength but good design is certainly worth noting. I too feel the handle could be better and the counterbalance could protrude less. Of my three reels above, the Galvan has the best counterbalance and the Nautilus the best handle. I could go back and forth among these three reels on sound, drag knob feel and detents but all are beautifully machined and finished, relatively rigid for skeletonized designs, have intelligent, not to wide, aspect ratios, have proven reliable, fun to fish and all three have mastered memorable trout.
bmbailes likes this.