The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM

patton is on a distinguished road
Default Hardy Ultralite DD

Hi All,

First post on this forum. Seems like a great forum with lots of people willing to help and a ton of knowledge. So.....after lurking for a bit, figured it was time to start contributing.

I am wondering if any of you have any experience or opinion on the new Hardy Ultralite DD reel. I'm looking for a new reel for a new 5wt setup. Have been considering this one along with others. I'm open to suggestions on others as well, hoping to keep the price at 250 or below.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy Ultralite DD

Patton: Welcome to the forum! I can't help with the Hardy reel, but I'm sure we have several members that can provide some assistance.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

I have no experience with the hardy but, in that price category its hard to beat Ross cla or lamson guru, both awesome reels with great customer service
Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

pie 314...sorry not to able to help you about the reel.ARe you a maths teacher?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:11 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I'd love to have that Hardy; IMO you can't go wrong with a Hardy!
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 PM
sbreech

The Hardy reels are nice, but Chinese...Keep it American. For that price, get a Nautilus. Machined Aluminum, lifetime warranty, nice sealed drag, and USA.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
The Hardy reels are nice, but Chinese...Keep it American. For that price, get a Nautilus. Machined Aluminum, lifetime warranty, nice sealed drag, and USA.

Click the image to open in full size.
The Hardy reel is not Chineses. The real is designed in England, the steel and brass parts are built in the UK and the reels is assembled along with the Aluminum machining in S. Korea. The Nautilus is a fine reel, nothing wrong with them at all. But the Hardy starts at $200 (C & P $169). Although the fact that you are comparing them says great things about the Hardy. The UL DD is an excellent value and won best new FW reel at the Fly Tackle Dealer show. Here's a couple of reviews on the Hardy from an independent sources. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Hardy.Ultralite.DD.reels.new.hardy.ultralite.discd rag.reels.ultralite.hardy.reel

New Hardy Ultralite Reels Review - The Albemarle Angler
troutnut4 likes this.

Last edited by burk48237; 01-28-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:46 AM

patton is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome and the information everybody. Doesn't seem like there is a lot of hands on with the hardy, but I guess that's to be expected with a new product.

The Guru is definitely on my list of reels under consideration, as well as the Ross. I like the CLA, but have been eying the evolution lt even though it's a little more than I want to spend on this setup.

An additional info or opinions on any of these reels (or others) is definitely welcome.

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:56 PM
sbreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
The Hardy reel is not Chineses. The real is designed in England, the steel and brass parts are built in the UK and the reels is assembled along with the Aluminum machining in S. Korea. The Nautilus is a fine reel, nothing wrong with them at all. But the Hardy starts at $200 (C & P $169). Although the fact that you are comparing them says great things about the Hardy. The UL DD is an excellent value and won best new FW reel at the Fly Tackle Dealer show. Here's a couple of reviews on the Hardy from an independent sources. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Hardy.Ultralite.DD.reels.new.hardy.ultralite.discd rag.reels.ultralite.hardy.reel

New Hardy Ultralite Reels Review - The Albemarle Angler
The Hardy Ultralites are incredible looking reels, and very light. My only experience with (modern) Hardy reels was a UL 3000 CC that I kept for about 1 summer. I do have an older flyweight that I will probably never part with...classic, timeless... And no, I was not comparing the modern (Asian made) Hardy to the Nautilus at all, simply offering another option in the OP's price range...and I'm not a Nautilus rep.

Last edited by sbreech; 01-28-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

There is another thread on this Hardy within this forum from a few months back. Look for it.

I used this Hardy DD on an 8 1/2' #4 Zenith all last summer. This is a terific and intellegently designed reel. Light, smooth and strong with a fine-tunable drag seeting stronger than necessary. The only criticizem that was heaped on it at the time was that its anodized fisnish was too bright! Its greatest strength among the reels mentioned above is its superior aspect ratio; Hardy touts its not-too-wide feature.

Burke as usual is correct; the reel is not Chinese but produced at a top Korean facility with carefull Western monitoring and designed by a brilliant British product developer. I will add, however, that the Nautilus FWX is a very fine trout reel too. Neither of these reels excell in larger sizes though. Their designes are optimized for the #4 - 6 line size applications (in my opinion).