The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 PM

john2snakes is on a distinguished road
Default Which Reel?

Hello all,
I am new here (this is my first post) and I apoligize if this question is already on here..somewhere, but I just need some help.
I bought a Scott S4s 9' 10. I want to fish Lake trout and salmon on Lake Michigan, Bass here in Tennessee, and maybe some saltwater flat fishing sometime.
What wt reel should I match to this rod for that? Would an 8 wt be alright on a 10wt rod?
Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Which Reel?

If you are going to fish out on the lake you will want a big reel with plenty of room for running line behind the head. Think along the lines of a reel rated for an 11 weight line with at least 200 yards of backing. You will learn what 'a head' is as you go along but fishing on the Great lakes is not much different than fishing on the ocean and you'll need capacity on a reel.

By the way, welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Hey john2snake,

Welcome to the forum! I've never used the rod you bought, but if you put a lighter line on than recommended (such as the 8wt line with a 10wt rod) the action of the rod will get faster.

Not sure of your skill level in cating, but if you are just starting out, I wouldn't recommend using a faster action rod or making a rod have a faster action. Most beginner rods have a slower action because it slows down the casting stroke so that the newbie (sorry ) has more time to react and gets a feel for how the rod loads.

I would say, if you are fairly new to fly fishing, using a 10wt line until you get a better feel for the rod, then change accordingly. Also a 10wt is a pretty heavy rod to cast for long periods of time...... hope you're up for the workout!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 PM

Hey thanks to you both!,
Been fly fishing for about 10 years now. Mostly stream/river trout and small mouth bass. My wife is from Michigan and we go up there every fall. I've fished the great lakes for about 15 years or more. Caught Salmon and Lakers, but done that with down rigers on Shimanos. Have to fish pretty deep for those lakers when troling.

I'm new to the large gear in fly fishing. I may have gotten too much rod. The price was right though. Got it for 300.00.
Thanks so much! Tight Lines!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering. What kind of technique are you going to employ to fish for salmon and Lake Trout? What depths will these fish be at?

Dennis
Old 02-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Dennis,

I'm thinking about him needing a 30' head of Hi Density with enough grain weight to load up the rod. The head spliced onto running line like a Dacron and a stripping basket. It's been a long time but I fished Ontario with a set up like that but I used flat mono for my shooting / running line. It did the trick and although I have no idea how deep it fished, it went down until you had to stop it..........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-04-2012, 01:20 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i think a fine choice for a 10 weight would be the new echo ion 10/12. its a super sized reel that can hold alot of backing, plus a 10 0r 11 weight line.
my brother uses it for his 14' 9 weight spey rod
Echo Ion Fly Reel, Fly-Fishing Reels, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabela's
killer.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-04-2012, 01:50 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ard.

Some guys fish for tuna that way with their 14 to 16 weights. They will have an obscene amount of backing, 100 to 200 feet of some sort of mono shooting line like Amnesia or Suffix, and a 30 to 35 foot T17 head. Their casts aren't pretty from what I understand. They are basically lobbing the heads.

As for a proper fit to the rod. Just get a quality reel designed for a 10 weight rod.

Dennis
Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 AM

I'll most likely end up getting two spools. One with a fast sinking line. and the other with sinking tip to use during the fall run when the Salmon are starting to get ready for the trip up the river to spawn. I appreciate all this good info.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

As far as reels I would look at one of the mid priced $2-500 large arbor reels on the market with a quality drag. You might as well get a well machined reel that can handle some Salt use for a ten weight. Since I rep Hardy I'd start with looking at the Hardy UL DD, other possibilities include the Nautilus NV, Bauer Rogue, Lamson Litespeed. On the high end I'd look at the Lamson Vanquish and Hardy Fortuna. The only warning I would give you would be to stay away form Cork drag SW reels in the Great Lakes, cold weather and cork don't always cooperate.

One other possibility that I like for heads is the Hardy Demon, It's a large arbor high quality cassette reel with a good drag, although it will need to be rinsed and treated with more attention if used in the salt than the other reels I've listed. But it comes with three cassettes so changing spools is quick easy and cost effective.

As far as lines I'd look at either the SA Streamer Express or Cortland QD. I'm real familiar with the Cortland (rep) and they have a great integrated running line that eliminates the hinge effect common with shooting line/head set ups and they shoot real nice. The running line is supple enough not to tangle easily and handles nice on the floor of a boat. I've heard similar things about the SA, but never tried it. Bob Linesman ( who co-wrote Kellys book on Streamers) loves the Cortland line.