The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 10:18 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: sealed drag for 7wt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Good choice on the Native Run (a traditional GLX in 4 pcs.). That is where your decision begins. You mentioned two high quality reels in your initial list; the Hatch and the Nautilus NV. You are fishing steelies so, in my opinion, you want to shy away from the wide spooled reels as they are counter-intuitive to regain backing and line onto. As Hardy says though, sealed? Man, a nice used Abel Super narrow spool model or Islander would be a sweet choice with that rod.
Although I want a sealed drag, the dark olive colored Abel Super 7 is almost more than I can resist. Why is the Super 7 series discontinued? Anyone have any experience with them or know of any reason to stay away?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
Although I want a sealed drag, the dark olive colored Abel Super 7 is almost more than I can resist. Why is the Super 7 series discontinued? Anyone have any experience with them or know of any reason to stay away?
There's nothing wrong with the Super 7 that should give you pause. As with everything in product development, things are improved over time as new technology develops. Abel did that with their manufacturing process. That doesn't mean that which is outgoing is not a quality piece of equipment. The recently discontinued Super 7 is a fantastic quality built reel that will last a lifetime. I use a Super 7 on my 10' 7 wt. Sage VXP. It has been replaced in the Abel line up by the Super 7/8N, which is a lighter reel, narrower design reel.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Correct. It is meerly a model designation and minor proportion change. Abel, unique among serious reel companies, has been offering both modertly wide and narrow spool configuarations to give customers a choice but, as these reels are sold primarily to serious anglers, they are emphasizing narrow in the re-designated models. I was not aware that any mfg. or performance change was involved but...I'll look into that.

Incidently, there is very little maintanance required in these draw-bar reels. Keep them clean, store them dry with the drag set to free-spool and once a season, lub the cork with neatsfoot oil and the spring and threaded parts with reel oil. This design has been the coice of hard-core anglers who persue big fish since the 1950's due to performance and reliability. Yes, I fish sealed drag reels including the Hatch and Nautilus NV and like them both a lot. A Hatch 7+ with the mid-arbor spool would be a great choice too but when I go on a trip and am using a sealed drag reel I always have a draw-bar back up in my duffle bag...just in case.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I was not aware that any mfg. or performance change was involved but...I'll look into that.

My comment on the mfg. process change solely relates to what I've viewed on youtube and internet searches that peremitted them to cut more weight out of their reels, which they specifically mention as porting changes. An assumption is made on my part here that the production of narrower design without compromising strength while lowering weight is also part of this. I'll be interested in what you find out because I've become quite a fanatic about these reels.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:10 PM

gamefish is on a distinguished road

id go with the Ross. I have a momentum in that Champaign color on mine and it has a great deal of drag when necessary.