The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road
Default sealed drag for 7wt?

I am in the process of tracking down a 7wt rod for steelhead in the Lake Erie tributaries and also some light saltwater fishing. Now to select a reel.

I'm planning on buying used in the $200 - $500 range so there are lots of options on the table. One decision I made is to get a reel with a sealed drag system. I would be interested in suggestions ...or just a list of reels that might fall in this price range and have a sealed drag to make sure I am not overlooking anything. So far, on my radar are:

Nautilus NV
Galvan Torque
Ross Momentum
Hatch Finatic
Old 02-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: sealed drag for 7wt?

Hi Marty,

Time to give your post a reply although I'm not gonna be much help. The only sealed drag I ever owned was on a Lamson Velocity 3.5. it seemed like a nice reel for the price but I'm sort of old fashioned. if I may ask, why is the sealed thing of great importance to you? I ask because I've never had any trouble with stuff getting into my reels.

Anyway, you got a reply even if it didn't help out, actually it seems you have a good set of reels you're looking at already

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

+1 on the lamson, however i would have a look at the new litespeeds..., or velocity's.
outstanding reels with a outstanding warranty.
hope this helps!!

casey

ARFE
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

i was using the Allen Alpha ll before i got the anti reverse and i loved it. It has a sealed drag and is fully machined barstock for $140 new.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I fish a Ross Evolution LT #4 on my 7wt Scott S3s and its a perfect combo. Its listed as a 7-9wt reel, but its crazy light, so I actually recommend it more for 6-7 rods. Its considerably cheaper than the Momentum, has a sealed drag, and had plenty of power to stop the porker redfish you see below.

Going back to the weight thing, if the rod your picking is over 9', its probably too light.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I fished a Lamson Velocity in Lake Erie Tribs and found it to be an excellent choice. Very lightweight reel with a very capable drag for those Steelbows. They are also pretty easy to service and can typically be done in a fly shop that carries Lamson--assuming they have the spare parts. There are some older model Litespeeds that are on closeout that I'm sure you'd be pleased with.

I picked up a Galvan T6 this past year and love this reel on my 7wt. It's now my go to reel for Trib fishing and my Lamson is now relegated to backup duty. Of the two, the Lamson is the lighter reel. I think the Galvan's extra weight is a better fit for balance. You may also want to look at the Rush Light series. In the T6 R6 size, the backing capacity, spool width and diameter are identical. More important, so is the drag. The difference is .1 Oz, Torque is 5.2 and Rush is 5.3.

The Evolution LT is a fine reel, I own one and use it on my 4 and 5wt rods. Another very light reel with a nice drag.

Can't speak firsthand to the others, but both seem to be gaining popularity and have a good following. I can't offer any salt experience with any of them.

Just a thought--you might get more specific and detailed responses by indicating the length, model and manufacturer of your rod. Ultimately, the right reel is the one that will best balance your rod.

Good luck.

Last edited by jaybo41; 02-08-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added Galvan Rush Light
Old 02-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Marty

Here is a Lamson Litespeed 3: Lamson Litespeed LS 3.0 Fly Reel, NEW! CLOSEOUT! | eBay

Here is a Galvan T6: Galvan T6 Bronze w/ Rio Grand WF6F fly line, SFS-TU | eBay

Here is a Galvan T8: Galvan T-8 Fly Reel - Never Used. left hand,black | eBay

Old 02-08-2012, 06:03 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road

My rod is a 7wt 9'6" G.Loomis Nativerun GLX.

I am attracted to the sealed drags because they are maintenance free. I already have too many hobbies. If I never have to take apart a fly reel and oil the cork drag components or flush out grit or otherwise perform maintenance I will die well satisfied. I know there are some cons...noteably that if there are problems with the drag, it has to go back to the manufacurer but that is why I plan to buy something good and rely on it to be well made.

I don't know what it is about the lamsons...they just don't look too appealing to me. But I have to admit the more I look at those "closeout" prices, the sexier they get. One thing that annoys me about my rod is the awkward mocha color of the reel seat. I am trying to find a reel that looks right with it.

I have a Galvan Rush on my ultralight rod. It is the finest crafted lineholder I ever did see. I am tempted to get a Galvan Torque to see what that drag is really made of. Plus, I think the green reel option might work with the rod.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Good choice on the Native Run (a traditional GLX in 4 pcs.). That is where your decision begins. You mentioned two high quality reels in your initial list; the Hatch and the Nautilus NV. You are fishing steelies so, in my opinion, you want to shy away from the wide spooled reels as they are counter-intuitive to regain backing and line onto. As Hardy says though, sealed? Man, a nice used Abel Super narrow spool model or Islander would be a sweet choice with that rod.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
My rod is a 7wt 9'6" G.Loomis Nativerun GLX.

I am attracted to the sealed drags because they are maintenance free. I already have too many hobbies. If I never have to take apart a fly reel and oil the cork drag components or flush out grit or otherwise perform maintenance I will die well satisfied. I know there are some cons...noteably that if there are problems with the drag, it has to go back to the manufacurer but that is why I plan to buy something good and rely on it to be well made.

I don't know what it is about the lamsons...they just don't look too appealing to me. But I have to admit the more I look at those "closeout" prices, the sexier they get. One thing that annoys me about my rod is the awkward mocha color of the reel seat. I am trying to find a reel that looks right with it.

I have a Galvan Rush on my ultralight rod. It is the finest crafted lineholder I ever did see. I am tempted to get a Galvan Torque to see what that drag is really made of. Plus, I think the green reel option might work with the rod.
I have the Loomis Native Run in the 10' 8 wt. that I use for Salmon on the Lake Michigan tribs. It balances very well with a Lamson Velocity 3.5 (old model) and the drag is excellent. I'm going to agree with you - it's ugly. I think all Lamson's are ugly. But I got it on closeout and you really can't beat the deal I got on it. The Hard Alox finish on it is top notch as well. You can bang it around and slide it around a drift boat and you really can't damage the finish. But it's already ugly

A Silver or Bronze Galvan Torque would look great on that stick.

Cheers,
Mike.