The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 AM

houli has a spectacular aura abouthouli has a spectacular aura about
Default Lamson Guru vs Litespeed

Didn't want to hijack the thread below ..... i recently bought the Guru 3 w/ spare spool and am still in the return window (haven't put any line on it yet). Just saw that last years Litespeed is now on clearance at a lot of shops for around $240 + $135/spool (vs $209 + $95/spool paid for the Guru). Is it worth returning my Guru and jumping to the Litespeed for $60 more? I know the litespeed was $340 or so before sale and spool around $170. Need to make a call soon so I can still return the Guru.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Lamson Guru vs Litespeed

This is going to be a personal thing that you'll have to sort out I think. It is a stress to find that right after you buy something there is the top of the line on clearance, no doubt. If you can afford to part with the extra 60 quid why not; but then it is $60. The Light Speed will definitely have a higher 'Zoot Factor' when other guys see it but is it really better.......these are the things we wrestle with in this life.

Zoot is what we used to call unnecessary modifications to 'Downhill' mountain bikes back in the day. The mod didn't make you a better downhiller but they made your ride look more manly. It's kinda the same deal with fishing gear

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-10-2012, 03:45 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I've got a Lamson GURU 3 for my 7wt outfit that I picked up pre-owned on the auction site for $75! I wasn't going to get something that high tech but for that price I couldn't find anything half as good. I wasn't going to go expensive because I don't use that 7wt too often and I was trying to do it cheaply. I really like the Guru, and all of the other Lamsons because the drag is so smooth, and on this size reel I think that is a significant feature. I've had some smallies take it for a ride and it works great, and though I havn't put a steelhead on it yet I hope to soon. Now for the comparison; from what I understand there is no difference in any of the internal workings of the two reels in question. The Lamson website states that the drag units are both the same. Perhaps there are some more corrosion resistant bearings, bushings, washers, etc., but I'm not sure about that, maybe someone with a little more intricate knowledge of the Lamson line could tell you differently. The only real difference may be the .7 oz jump from the Litespeed to the GURU. I don't think that is reason enough to switch (just my opinion), but this is about the "zoot" factor as well. At that price level they are all high end reels.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

One thing I'm finding out (based on the other thread I started on the Guru and Velocity) is the Alox finish on the Velocity and Litespeed seems to be very durable. Could be factor if you like your hardware to continue looking brand new after much use.

Curious where you found the Litespeed 3 for $240. Saw it on Backcountry.com but they were asking $271.16. My local fly shop had the Guru 1.5 for $189 and the Velocity 1.5 for $239. Maybe I'll need to add the Litespeed to my list if I can get it cheaper than the Velocity. Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 PM

This is where I ordered mine today. Call the shop .... I got the LS 3.0 for $227 and spare spool for $120 .... Pretty solid deal. Also checked with lamson and they said the new spools will fit the older model reel.

Stillwater Outfitters
Old 02-10-2012, 10:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thats a great deal for a ls 3!
the main difference between the ls and guru is the finish (ls has the tough as nails hard alox, the guru does not.) also the ls has a ported spool which decreases the over all weight by a hair.
both are good reels, but i would say that for the sall difference in cost that you got a superior reel

casey

ARFE
Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Houli, thanks for the info. Definitely a great price.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM

Just got my LS 3.0 yesterday ..... seems like i got the new Alox II spool for $120 ... handle is on the outside gave it away. Spool on the reel is the new version too .... only thing that looks different is the drag knob. Reel happy here!