The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 03:23 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fly Reel Selection

What reel do you think would be a good match for a Z-Axis 8 weight? This will be used for Salmon, Pike, Musky, and Largemouth. I want a really good real that will last.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:46 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly Reel Selection

There's so many choices but I'd suggest a Hardy Swift 975.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM

john2snakes is on a distinguished road

I nearly asked the same question as you did, but for a Scott 10 wt.
I got a Lamson Litespeed 4 in 10/11 wt. It has a sealed conical drag that makes more sense than anything I've seen in fly reels. It is engineered by an engineering design company, not a tool shop with a CNC machine that makes cool/fancy trendy looking reels. I have been reading so many testimonials about Lamson reels. Aparently they will take some serious abuse and still give 110%.

Whatever you get, have fun and be safe.
john2snakes
grassonfly likes this.

Last edited by john2snakes; 02-11-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: some times I can spellll.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:08 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

What about the Ross U.S.A. reels?
Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM

john2snakes is on a distinguished road

I've never owned a Ross. I'm sure it's a fine reel though.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM

It's just not a simple choice. I want it to be the right choice, and I prefer made in the U.S.A.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:20 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
What reel do you think would be a good match for a Z-Axis 8 weight? This will be used for Salmon, Pike, Musky, and Largemouth. I want a really good real that will last.
Abel Super 7. You can find them for around $400-$450 right now. Solid for that stick.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:10 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Can pick up a LS 3.5 for $240 and LS 4 $280. One of the other threads pointed out this great deal. I was looking for LS 1.5 for a 4wt. I'm sure the Litespeed is Made in the USA, the Konic which is their entry reel may not be??
Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I might stay away from an Abel if you are going to use one in the freezing temperatures of the Michigan UP during the winters. The cork drag can slip due to ice build up. Throughout the rest of the year, it would be awesome.

There are a lot of good reels out on the market. Here are a few:
Lamson Litespeed 3 (or 3x) - Others have mentioned it. I use one regularly on my 6 through 8 weights since 2003. The drag starts up smoothly and has plenty of range.

Galvan Torque 8 - Bomber tough. Great drag. I see more Torques on the rods of guides than any other model of reels here in California. One of my guide friends has first generation Torques that he still uses regularly. Even though the spool and frame are machined to the bajeeze, the reels can take a beating from bouncing around on a drift boat or panga. If you have questions on Galvans, contact Bigfly. He has Torques in his guide fleet.

Bauer Rogue 4 - I bought one because I never saw my Bauer rep so excited about a reel. It is silky smooth with a lot of braking power. I use it on one of my Steelhead rigs.

I am sure that others will add to your list.

Dennis
Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 AM

It will be used in freezing temps up here.