The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Reel Upgrade

Currently, I have a Redington AL9/10. I've read enough reviews that say that the drag is iffy when tested. This is a used reel, so I'm considering an upgrade.

I have the opportunity to get a Tioga Teton 9-11 with 250yds of 30# Gel spun and a WF-10F line. It also comes with a spare spool loaded with 200 yds of 30# and an Orvis ST-300-S line on it. He's also throwing in an Orvis Saltwater WF-10F with the integrated loop. All this for $150 plus shipping.

I don't know much about the Teton's but from what I've researched, it seems to have a good reputation.

Any input/guidance would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:41 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reel Upgrade

The spare spool and the line are the kicker I'd say... I think you gotta pull the trigger on that one. The line itself is half that price at least, plus the spool, and a reel to boot. Hard to beat! I love my Alpha II 9/10 but that price is pretty spectacular.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My concern is with future servicing of the Teton reel. What if something goes wrong? Teton USA is not the same company as Teton Fly Reels, Inc. Teton USA has partnered with the W.J. Senecal Company to service the old reels. But will WJSC still have spare parts? From what I have heard through the industry is that WJSC has some parts, but not all. Be very careful.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:52 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I get what you're saying, MP. I don't really know how much I'm gonna get to use this setup...I'm on the fence on the whole thing. I really should sell a few things before I get anything else....the significant other might skin me with a hot, dull knife if I bring in anything else...
Old 02-12-2012, 11:56 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan on using the AL 9/10 reel, regularly lube the roller bearing with marine grease. That has been the Achilles heel of the reel. Take care of that. The reel will perform well.

Dennis
Old 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've had both reels, they are both reliable reels but I don't see the Tioga as an upgrade. Mosca hit the nail on the head with the oneway bearing. Keep it greased and if you use it in salt take it out twice a season and clean it because they will seize to the spool. They are similar in reliability, drag and unfortunatley weight. I sold my AL and my Tioga only sees action on my spey rods. They are both a beefy chunk of metal.