The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Abel Deep Green & Sage XP

Good point on the narrower spool. Abel is moving inexorably in this direction which is great design leadership from a premier company. The counter intuitive to uniform line retrieval wide/shallow aspect ratio reels' emphasis on the engineering concept that uniformity of drag related to minimizing the change in diameter of the arbor, and the popularity of these reels, drives me nuts. Though true in engineering terms; do the folks who make these reels actually go fishing? Apparently, the people at Abel do.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on the narrower spools - I use a Super 6 as my primary reel for my 691-4 Z-Axis.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Nice feesh!

The Super 5 pairs up well with the 6 wt.? Right now I'm torn between a Super 5 and a Super 6.
It balances fine on that rod and my 905/4 S3 as well, although I have other reels intended for that rod. I get the whole narrower spool thing, that Super 5 was, what was available back when it was ordered. If I was ordering one today, I'd have to weigh my options as you are doing. Iíve never run into the spooling / line management problems expressed by others with the wider spool on that relatively small reel. But then Iím a tall guy with good dexterity and long digits.

You know another color option for you, rather than getting locked into the moss green reel to blank color scheme. Is to go with one of the many gold tone reels, which would pull the color up from those gold accent wraps on the factory XP.

TT
Old 02-15-2012, 01:50 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
It balances fine on that rod and my 905/4 S3 as well, although I have other reels intended for that rod. I get the whole narrower spool thing, that Super 5 was, what was available back when it was ordered. If I was ordering one today, I'd have to weigh my options as you are doing. Iíve never run into the spooling / line management problems expressed by others with the wider spool on that relatively small reel. But then Iím a tall guy with good dexterity and long digits.

You know another color option for you, rather than getting locked into the moss green reel to blank color scheme. Is to go with one of the many gold tone reels, which would pull the color up from those gold accent wraps on the factory XP.

TT
I actually went forward and purchased a black Super 6. I have a number of black reels and a few black Abel's so I considered mixing it up. My wonderful bride just bought me a Super 4N in Brown Trout for my 40th birthday so I'll consider that "mixed up" enough for now. I have plenty of reels in the 4-5 weights (hardly a bad problem to have) so I steered away from the Super 5 because the 6 gives me another option on my 7 wt. more so that a Super 5 would. I also like the narrower spool. The kicker was the Super 5 was a Rainbow Trout graphic that was pretty darn cool... but it was another $140 which can buy a spare spool on a black one. Now I can push the Super 7 to the 8 wt. and keep the Lamson Velocity for a back up 7/8 weight because I have two spools for that reel.

Happy Days!

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post

TT
That would look darn sweet! But they wouldn't match the silver wraps on my VXP 7 wt.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good move on the Super 6. As we talked though that today it just made all the sense in the world.

Once you get that Super 4N and the latest edition in, you need to snap some photos and post them in the Reel Love thread. That collection of yours is something else!