The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Fly Reel Drag Design

Leaving aside a debate about the drag requirements of a small stream trout reel, what do you look for in a reel for anadromous or saltwater gamefish and what. if anything, have you found exemplary in its performance and why?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Fly Reel Drag Design

lots of backing room and a drag that can last a long while on a heavy drag setting.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

A wide drag range, in case light tippet is being used (such as with steelhead in very clear water) and the tippet needs to be protected on a very light drag setting. Smooth start-up would also be necessary in this case.

With regard to the drag design itself, like Robert said, the material of the drag (cork, carbon, rulon, whatever) would need to be able to hold up for long protracted runs, in the case of tarpon-style drag slugfests. I am not hugely familiar with the materials used in drags so I can't say what would be best in this case. I'm sure someone else that knows better than myself will be able to weigh in here. However, I know I will be chasing a tarpon on the fly sometime this year, and all I can hope is that my drag holds up and helps me land the fish!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Richard,

The mechanical system that Hardy used in the Mk. II 8/9 that I use has been the best so far for me. However my Odyssey III which uses a draw bar cork & rulon disc / gear is dependable also. I use the hardy more but both systems are good here.

With my search for a 15 ounce reel ongoing I am considering the Henschel #5 anti reverse and the Saracicone 4 1/4" for this new rod I have. I am not familiar with either so any comments about the reels would be much appreciated.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I, too, like the drag on the Hardy disk drag reels (e.g., the Uniqua 2). They describe it as an offset drag with a "Rulon disk". I'm not sure what that terminology means. but i am sure that it is a very effective system. I know that they used this system on the larger Orvis CFO reels when hardy was manufacturing these for Orvis.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Now that you mention it I have a pair of Viscount LA disc reels that are very strong. They managed to build a sort of medium large arbor reel while keeping the classic appearance of the brand at the time they made these.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;