The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Henschel Reels, Anyone?

I am still searching for a big fly reel. When I say big I'm talking 4.5" diameter and at least 15 ounces. The selection is limited in new reels having a good drag. It seems that there are 2 makers who can fill the bill, Henschel of Germany and Saracicone of America.

If you are familliar with either of these reels or know of another big heavy reel with a drag please let me know.

I am looking hard at this Henschel in anti reverse;

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2012, 03:06 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Henschel Reels, Anyone?

One that comes to mind is a TFO Terry Hayden. Not sure if they are still being made, but the larger one would probably be those dimensions. Not AR, but I think they had a large surface cork drag. milt.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Milt,

AR is not a neccessity, I am waiting for an e-mail from a fellow who sells Sea Level reels. He has one that fills the bill in direct drive. I'm waiting for some good pictures.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

What weight you looking for Ard?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Administrator

It looks like I'm getting a Sea Level Extreme #5 for now. The Henschel will come in the fall. This will be a reel for use on a 15' Winston rod that uses a 875 grain line so I need a big heavy reel.

I'm not crazy about the leaping marlin on the back plate but these are built to take a pounding and should more than be enough for some salmon.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 02-21-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:57 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

big stuff ard..hope it will help you...

casey

ARFE

Last edited by caseywise; 02-21-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

H-R, The Sea Level reel is the "Tempest", previously importred by Albright. I have three of these reels and have plenty of use on them. They are not "draw-bar" reels as descried in both Albright's and Sea Level's literature but rather, "hub" compression designes. They actually work fine but, unlike draw-bars which are so easily dissasembled and lubricated (as in Abel, Tibor and Islander) the small cork disc is sandwiched between two stainless steel (I think) discs and is virtually inaccesable making treatment of the cork awkward. Also the push-button release has failed on a couple of these reels which live on a friends salt water boat. Though Tempest is among the best I have fished with, I am not a fan of the, ubiquitus among Asian-designed reels, hub-type drag assembly. I have no experience with Henschel. I would think a Big Game Abel or Islander would be a great choice.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Hi Richard,

The reel I pasted pictures of is the one this fellow has, it's called 'Extreme #5' and is larger than the Tempest. Weight is what is propelling this search and the Abel & Islander reels are too light. I am seeking a 15 - 16 oz reel for a big rod. I am pretty sure that whatever I get will be replaced by the Henschel #5 when I can afford to drop 650 on a reel. The re-powering of our boat is going to be expensive and that leaves little in loose funds sloshing around...............

Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i kinda like the marlin

ARFE
Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

H-R, You will have to inquire of Ray about this but I am confident that this big reel is, by any other name, a giant Tempest. I think he is agood guy and honest and he will inform you about maintanance matters regarding the cork component of the drag. I would ask if the drag is the same design as Tempest. It also might be available sans engravaing - I don't know if that is done here or in Korea.