The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 12:27 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: recommend a click and pawl for a 3-wt

I'd get an Orvis BBS1 or 2.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM

herroncobbler is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. The rod I am pairing it with is a very lightly used Scott G 6'10" 3-weight. Of all the recommendations, the Cortland Retro looks like it may fit the bill. Although I tend to be a stickler about buying made in USA (or England in the case of Hardy) goods, I may have to bow to reason this time around. It would be retro in the sense that I believe the very first fly reel I was given when I was a kid was a Cortland.

The Ross Colorado also looks sweet. I'll have to do some homework.

I did locate a Hardy Flyweight (English made) that was reasonably priced (closer to $200) but of course someone hopped on it mere hours before me. Everything else I could find online was closer to $300 or more, which it getting way too expensive for what is inevitably on a 3-weight a line holder.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:57 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Abel Creek, but my favorite reel for 3 wt. rods now is my Hardy Bougle; great click pawl system, very smooth; protects light tippets well and (I think) looks neat on the rod.

Hardy Fly - Products - Reels - Classic Reels - Bougle Mk VII Reels

Pocono
Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 PM

herroncobbler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I like the Abel Creek, but my favorite reel for 3 wt. rods now is my Hardy Bougle; great click pawl system, very smooth; protects light tippets well and (I think) looks neat on the rod.

Hardy Fly - Products - Reels - Classic Reels - Bougle Mk VII Reels

Pocono
Lovely, for sure, but a bit out of my price range.

I suppose the other thing I could do is just suck it up and buy a new Korean-made Flyweight. I haven't laid hands/eyes on any of the new Korean-made lightweight reels. How are they?

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
I went through a similar situation a few months ago. I chose the cortland Retro 1 for my 2wt. I have used the reel on my 4wt as well and find it excellent. Check out my review on this site..
Great review by the way. Thanks for that.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
I wonder how many reels Ross would sell if they dumped every reel they have out today,....and just brought back the Colorado, the San Miguel, and the Gunnison.
I think revamped versions of the San Miguel and Gunnison that were at least mid-arbor would do quite well. Replacing the CLA with a "GLA" that's less ugly might probably sell better.

While the solid spool and better spool rotation assembly on the G versus the Cimarron undeniably lent greater durability, the visual similarity between the two made selling the pricier model difficult, IMO. I think I sold 4 Cimarrons for every Gunni that went out the door.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I have two Hardy Featherweights; both made in Korea, both work very well on a 3 wt. rod.

The engineering is English / the manufacture is Korean.

Pocono
Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone used the inexpensive Greys G series reels? The G-1 is for 3 or 4 wt lines and only $45.00. I thought of getting one for my 7'6'' 4wt Crosswater as an inexpensive alternative because I don't fish light lines very often.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I know one way or the other, but I suspect that those Cortland reels were made by STH in Argentina.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Not that I know one way or the other, but I suspect that those Cortland reels were made by STH in Argentina.
Nope, they are made in China.

I'm not sure whats going on with STH, but Cortland has imported any Argentina made rules in a few years.

All of the Steel and brass parts of the current Hardys are made in the UK, the Aluminum machining and assembly is done in S. Korea.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
All of the Steel and brass parts of the current Hardys are made in the UK, the Aluminum machining and assembly is done in S. Korea.
Oy, I'm betting rising fuel prices will change that before too long.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.