The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM

herroncobbler is on a distinguished road
Default recommend a click and pawl for a 3-wt

I'm about to purchase a Scott G 3wt and am looking for a reel. I am a click pawl guy when fishing for trout. I use an original English-made Hardy Featherweight on my 4-weights and an original LRH on my 5-weight. Love the reels to death mainly because of their tippet protection. I want to complete "the trilogy" and buy an English made Flyweight, but the market for original English made Hardy reels is getting a tad absurd. $300 - $400?

Other reels I've considered are a Hardy-made Orvis CFO 1 but they're fairly pricey too. Just curious what other classic click pawl reels are out there that may be more affordable (<$200) alternatives?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:18 PM

monolithic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: recommend a click and pawl for a 3-wt

I have a 3/4 hardy marksman on a Winston 3wt and I love this reel! A little more of a modern look as opposed to the flyweight or featherweight but is a flawless little reel..in fact I'm open to parting with my 3/4 as I use my 2/3 more often.

Do a little research and if you like the look drop me a line...my 3/4 has been used less than 6 times, it would pass for brand new.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

check out the cortland retro-
Cortland - Retro Click Pawl Reel

or redtruck
Red Truck: Diesel Click Drag Fly Fishing Reel:, 3/4 Weight

or medalist

casey

ARFE
Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I suspect if you're willing to take a reel with some wear you can find a Featherweight from the UK for about $250 used. A new Korean one goes for the same, and they are very well made, maybe tighter than the UK reels. The other alternatives used would be a Marquis 4 (light reel, it will balance with most threes), or a used Hardy JLH 2-3-4 (my favorite of the small C & P's) but they tend to go for bigger bucks than the UK Featherweights. The Cortland retro is a great value too at $129.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I have an Abel Creek on my 3 wt. TXL that I like an awful lot. Sweet little reel.
I believe they offer the Trout series as well in that weight. Good hunting!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I went through a similar situation a few months ago. I chose the cortland Retro 1 for my 2wt. I have used the reel on my 4wt as well and find it excellent. Check out my review on this site..
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Look for a Ross Colorado. Not English, but American made You can find one sub $200. The Colorado 1 would probably be a good fit on a 3wt.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
Look for a Ross Colorado. Not English, but American made You can find one sub $200. The Colorado 1 would probably be a good fit on a 3wt.
My thoughts exactly. I've fished a CO 2 on my 4wt for over ten years and I still love it. Unless the G is fairly old, it was also made in the same city as Ross, so that seems like a natural pairing.

I actually really like the fact that its not adjustable, as it makes the reel's appearance that much cleaner-

Click the image to open in full size.

If you want something a bit fancier, the Abel Creek series is wonderful as well-

Abel Creek Fly Fishing Reel

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

I wonder how many reels Ross would sell if they dumped every reel they have out today,....and just brought back the Colorado, the San Miguel, and the Gunnison.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
I wonder how many reels Ross would sell if they dumped every reel they have out today,....and just brought back the Colorado, the San Miguel, and the Gunnison.
i've owned a number of gunnisons and a couple colorados.....yeah, that was some great gear for sure
still have one g-3 but wish i had kept them all.
oh, and i had a couple cimmarons as well

casey

ARFE