The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 01:01 AM

bdog is on a distinguished road
Default SA System 2 LA

I recently picked up one of these reels in 456 size. Mine says made in China, I thought all of these were made in England? Is there a big difference in quality? Seems like a nice light machined reel.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: SA System 2 LA

Welcome bdog

I wouldn’t have any worries about it; Scientific Anglers are providing an affordable product and stand behind them. I would if I can suggest checking eBay for System II reels and ask the seller if there made in England, SA no longer labels them but there very strong and well finished reels, there draw back is the cork disc drag, but they can still be repaired. I have two that I picked up years ago, an 8/9 and a 10/11 and were both made in England. The prices that they still bring say a lot about the product.

Rick
Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

They are a beaut Reel,I have 3 X 456 & a few spare Spools,1 X 678 & 1 X 890 most are made in England,a couple are made in China.
The only difference I can between the 2 are The Originals made in England are a slightly darker in colour & the Ratchet has a quiter click otherwise they are identicle.
Brian.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM

bdog is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. It seems like a really nice reel. Mine has single caliper disc drag on a stainless steel washer/disc. Any problems with not being sealed? Looks simple and easy to clean if sand or other **** gets into it.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog View Post
Thanks guys. It seems like a really nice reel. Mine has single caliper disc drag on a stainless steel washer/disc. Any problems with not being sealed? Looks simple and easy to clean if sand or other **** gets into it.
The drag if wet can freeze making it usless, follow the maintenance in the handbook and you'll be ok.

Rick