The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough
Default Allen Alpha 3/4 vs Trout 3/4

Anyone familiar with the main differences between these two reels? Noticed on their website that the Alpha was a little smaller than the Trout. Both seems to be a good deal for the $'s. Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 05:28 AM

dave t is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Allen Alpha 3/4 vs Trout 3/4

As the specs define, the main difference is the size. The Trout series had a larger and wider spool, and of course, comes in different colors. The Alpha's are on sale, so there may be some new offerings coming soon.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:59 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Thanks Dave. I've read the specs but was wondering if anyone has actually fished these two reels. Based on the website it also appears the drag on both are the same.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

What is the drag design and material on these Allen reels?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have a first gen Alpha 3/4 and its a great reel. I also have a 5/7 trout and havent gotten the chance to us it yet but im sure it'll be great as well

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I am tempted to pull the trigger on a Allen Trout reel just based off your reviews here and well the sweet price point.

Couple questions though (please dont take these as rips on the product)

1) Is the weight accurate on the website for the smaller Trout model it shows 4.8oz so sort of in line with the Guru's and such but a tad heavier than the Evolution LT or Nautilus FWX. Just seemed a little heavy at first glance for a machined aluminum reel in the smaller size.

2) Any plans on coming out with a ultra lite click pawl series for us UL guys ?

3) In terms of looking good for the fish can you mix and match reel / spool colors, ie Green reel / Blue spool for spare spool ?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Comeonavs, I'm sure one of the Allen guys will see this post and get back to you soon. However, as an owner of several of the Trout reels in each size, I can partially answer some questions. Unfortunately I can't get you a complete answer to the weight question as I don't have a scale, but I've used the smaller Trout reel on both a 2wt and a 3wt and it did not feel particularly hefty. Certainly it's not the Nautilus FWX, which is marketed as the lightest reel of its kind on the market, but it's not bulky either.

Not sure on the second question, I'm just a customer, but I believe I've heard talk of prototype click pawl reels so you may get a favorable answer there.

Yep, you can mix and match with the reel/spool colors. The website allows you to purchase spare spools in any of the offered colors, and I've seen fellow Allen customers with split color-schemes.

Again, hopefully one of the Allen guys or possibly an Allen product owner with a scale will get back to you on the first question, but I'm very happy with my Allen Trout 3/4. It does well when playing fish off the reel, and I have yet to lose a fish due to the tippet parting when doing so. Between the price tag, the customer service, and the warranty alone, you won't be disappointed, but once the reel shows up and you get a chance to spool it up and fish with it, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Thanks Gator for the reply,

I have several reels that weigh in that range so I will see how they feel. The concern around the weight is just that it is going on a 1wt possibly. It is a 7' 1WT and the spare spool would be spun up with 3WT line for a 7'6" 3wt. Those rods are in the real low 2 oz range. I was primarily worried about the reel weight since the rods are so short

Currently I have a Ross Evolution Zero (previous model) set up in this configuration and the spool is so small , coupled with the fact I dont use those two rods very often my line on my 3wt spool comes out like a corkscrew. The 1wt isnt so bad.

I could be completely bass ackwards here but I like the feel of the slightly heavier reels like the Lamson Guru on a longer 9' rods, but on short rods not so much.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I use the reel on a 7'3" 2/3wt and it feels good to me, while it feels equally at home on a 9' 3/4wt. However, I know that fly fishing is a very subjective experience so I don't want to lead you wrong if its a bit too heavy for your tastes! I'd be happy to ship it to you to let you try it out, except I use it almost every day, haha. What sort of time frame do you have on purchasing the reel?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I use the reel on a 7'3" 2/3wt and it feels good to me, while it feels equally at home on a 9' 3/4wt. However, I know that fly fishing is a very subjective experience so I don't want to lead you wrong if its a bit too heavy for your tastes! I'd be happy to ship it to you to let you try it out, except I use it almost every day, haha. What sort of time frame do you have on purchasing the reel?
No worries on leading me wrong, I am sure I will like it.

Now I just gotta get two nickels to rub together and order one.