The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:37 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default 8wt Reel for Steelhead - Any Recommendations?

I am headed to the PM in 2 weeks to try my hand at steelhead fishing. Can anyone suggest a good reel for < $200? I already have a 8wt Rod and Line.

I know that the Litespeed is highly regarded on the forum but it I would stretching my budget for it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: 8wt Reel for Steelhead - Any Recommendations?

Personally, I use an Allen Alpha II on my 8wt and it works great. It will certainly be under 200 and has excellent, smooth drag, good backing capacity, and a great warranty. Check it out!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Lot's of folks like Allen reels. I don't think you can go wrong with orvis.. their Access reels are in your budget and their battenkill large arbor reel is on clearance for under 200, it's the 9-11 wt, but would probably be fine for an 8.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:52 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Can't go wrong with an Orvis Access or Hydros. If you like Lamson, look at the Guru or Konic rather than the Litespeed. The new Hardy Ultralite at just about $200 looks sweet too, but I haven't tried one myself.

If you look hard enough you can also find some of last year's better discontinued models still available at clearance prices, including Lamson, Hardy and Orvis. Do a browser search for "fly shop closeouts". You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:09 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I use an Albright GP 7/8 reel. Not too hard on the eye and a great drag on it.

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I have been using a Ross Rhythm 3.5 for the past 3 years fishing for steelies and salmon..Seemingly bomb proof, I've had ZERO issues with the reel after continued abuse(Unfortunately the Rhythm series was discontinued) If you can find one on Ebay or in the classifieds they are great reels!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Wow, thanks for all the recommendations! I love Ross reels (have a CLA and Evo LT for my 4 & 5 wt lines) & would have loved to get the Rhythm 3.5 but after handling my buddy's Lamson Litespeed, I decided to get a Litespeed 3.5 Hard Alox.

I found the combination of great drag+ enough backing capacity at a light weight to be ir-resistable. I was even able to convince my wife about how terrific this reel is
Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM

joshw is on a distinguished road

I also use a rythym 3.5 from Ross. It is a great steelhead reel!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good choice, between weight of the reel and drag you'll be in great shape. Convincing the wife of this is a highly important aspect too
Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Wow, thanks for all the recommendations! I love Ross reels (have a CLA and Evo LT for my 4 & 5 wt lines) & would have loved to get the Rhythm 3.5 but after handling my buddy's Lamson Litespeed, I decided to get a Litespeed 3.5 Hard Alox.

I found the combination of great drag+ enough backing capacity at a light weight to be ir-resistable. I was even able to convince my wife about how terrific this reel is
You'll be in fine shape with that reel. I've a Lamson Velocity 3.5 that gets the trick done on Salmon and Steelies.

Cheers,
Mike.