The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 05:45 AM

gonefishn is on a distinguished road
Default Lamson Velocity

Looking at a Lamson Velocity 3.5 for my 7 wt. Sage Z Axis

I compared it to Ross Evolution.........but the Evolution has a small drag & its very light........if you drop it chances are it would get some damage.

Does anyone have any pros or cons regarding this reel?? The reel feels sturdy & looks like it would take some abuse of day to day fishing.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lamson Velocity

Honestly, with even with all the money in the world, I can't think of a better reel for that rod. (ok maybe a waterworks ULA, but probably not)

Here's why I love the thing:

Absolutely, totally sealed drag. You can hook into a 12lb bone, dunk the reel while its running, and be fine. (water would add some drag as the spool rotates, but the reel would operate perfectly)

The finish- that weird, sorta super fine sandpaper texture and unique putty color is due to the fact that (when it came out anyway) its one of the only reel on the market that is Type 3 Anodized instead of Type 2. Type 3 is much tougher and is much harder to scratch. (I'm not sure if the other color is type 3 anodized. the putty color used to be the only option for type 3, may no longer be the case)

I think that'll be a super sweet rig, Z Axis and Litespeed- yummy. Hmmmmm, what line would I put on it?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Cliff,

Maybe you can educate me a little bit. The Waterworks/Lampson are well made reels but I could never get past that the spool is held onto the frame with an "O" ring. Is that true? Or, does it just seal the shaft? If it does hold the spool on the frame that would seem like a potential problem to me. I have the first Lampson LP reel that got to Alaska and it is almost as old as your are. It has been a great reel but it is old school design with a small arbor. Can you tell me if the "O" ring design works better than it sounds. They seem to be popular reels so maybe it is just me. Also, do the Lamson reels have an in-coming click?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Frank, I sure thought there was more than just an o ring holding it in there, but it looks like i'm wrong. From their site:
Quote:
Another example of mechanical simplicity is our spool latching mechanism. On other reels, the latching mechanism involves a button or a lever that activates springs & plates that grab and hold the spool onto the frame. These represent ten to fifteen parts that create an opening for contaminants to enter the running gear of the reel, and ten to fifteen parts that can fail in time. All of our reels use a simple but effective o-ring lock that serves two purposes: to lock the spool to the frame and to seal the drag chamber. This lock is achieved using no extra parts. The spindle flair passes over an o-ring at the entrance to the drag chamber and then locks into a groove machined into the drag cap. We eliminate parts, eliminate liabilities, serve two functions, create virtues. Simple.
I can tell you from my own experience that the "spindle flair" passing over that O ring is a firm seal, and it takes a good bit of oomph to separate the reel from the spool. I can't think of ANY fishing condition that didn't result in a trip to the ER and a cast that would result in the spool separating from the reel.

Then again, like you're likely thinking, I can't say how that O ring will hold up over the years, so I guess there is a 'con' to the thing.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Cliff,

I have never paid any attention to these reels because I understood that the "O" ring was what held the spool to the frame. It may work great but I have to think the "O" ring will wear out at some point. Of course a little maintenance would take care of that. Maybe it is worth it to get such a sweet reel.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:40 PM

gonefishn is on a distinguished road

Thanks Cliff..............I caught 4 bass on it this evening........I love the Sage Z Axis & the Lamson reel.............

I put the Bass Bug Mastery line on it...........I throw cyperts minnows,clousers & flip flop flies that I make with my dremel tool.

I'm hoping to catch some sandies tomorrow.......taking the yak out instead of bank fishing.

Thanks again for your help..........I went after work to pick up the rod & reel & still had time to fish it
Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Hi Gonefishing,

Sounds like you have a nice setup. There is nothing like quality fly fishing equipment. Let us know how the reel works out. How about a picture of those flip flop flies?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the report. Let it also be known, that despite how much I would enjoy it, I am not on the take from any of these manufacturers I make recommendations on behalf of. Two of them even told me they didn't have any job openings and I still recommend their stuff.

Whataburger on the other hand........