The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel for superfine 8'6 3wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Peersonally I don't fish lighter lines than #4 as they provide inadaquit mass for effective reach and mend casting. I have an 8'/#4 that I enjoy on small streams mounted with a Hardy-built CFO, a lovely rig. I am, however, contemplating the Loomis NRX 9'/#4 which I might fish on a low wind day on the Henrys Fork or even the Missouri side channels instead of my customery #5. On the NRX I will use a Hatch or Nautilus with a drag because I intend to hook larger trout with room to run. Our gear selection is all about the environment we plan on fishing and it is great that rod and reel makers are offering equipment for specialized applications.
come to pa and fish here you need those small rods 7'6' to 5' 1,2,3 wts..small stream fishing here is a 10' cast, completlt different than out west.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm checking in late here but better late than never, (unless you've spent the dough already) we are talking about an 8' 6" Orvis Superfine correct? I would find myself either a CFO III or IV in 'mint' condition for that rod. With the length you may be able to hang a CFO IV on the seat without it being too heavy. Nothing looks or functions like a CFO on an Orvis Super Fine rod

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Ard, I have long prefered the CFO IV for 4-weights. I use one on my littlest outfit, an '85 Western Series 8'/#4 and it is a perfect ballance. The CFO III is really for 3-weights or rods shorter than 8'. Of course, "mint" might not describe my CFO's condition but buttery smooth would.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Ard, I have long prefered the CFO IV for 4-weights. I use one on my littlest outfit, an '85 Western Series 8'/#4 and it is a perfect ballance. The CFO III is really for 3-weights or rods shorter than 8'. Of course, "mint" might not describe my CFO's condition but buttery smooth would.
I believe that we get caught up with the idea that since the rod is rated '3' weight that we must have a reel of 2.5 ounces or less to 'balance the rod'. You often times learn by doing and that where any advice I try to give comes from; doing. Years ago when St. Croix introduced the Legend Ultra rods in that beautiful Winston green blank with the curly maple reel seats, after seeing one I just had no rest until I got one. I bought a 7.5 foot 3 weight rod and then had it in my head that I needed to find a mint Hardy Flyweight for use with it. I found the reel with Martin Keane up in Ashley Falls Mass. The old time collectors here may recognize Martin's name as being 'The' source for vintage tackle lone before eBay came about. Anyway, I got my Flyweight and spooled a line. When I put the minuscule reel on the rod I had 2 problems with things. Number one was that the rod was quite tip heavy once you strung line through the guides. Number 2 was that the reel actually looked kinda funny on the seat because it was so tiny.

It was after the initial fitting of the reel that I decided that I didn't have a rod small enough for a 'Fly' and didn't know what I'd do with one if I had it. I used the rod with my Martin MG-3 on it a few times but when comparing it to my 6'6" bamboo flea rod which also uses a 3 weight line I soon discovered that I had little use for another #3. I sold both the rod and the Flyweight reel and continued on in life by always getting my reels a little larger than one might think you would need. The end result of using the larger reels is that they balance the rods better and they look like a fly reel on the rod and not some sort of a tiny toy reel.

Big reels are cool

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-09-2012, 02:35 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I've got the same rod with a CFO III and I think it's fine. I think the IV would look too big, and I don't need the extra backing capacity for the fish or the extra weight for the balance. I also use a CFO IV with my 6 weight and the CFO 123 with my little 6' 6" 4 wt Orvis Flea.

The CFO is an ideal reel for the superfine rod series, but I think the smaller 123 or III would be a better match with a 3 weight. But no matter which size, if you decide on a CFO it ought to be the old style grey spring-and-pawl CFO, with the nickel silver line guard and without the perforations in the rim, and they can be hard to find. The new anodized bronze disc drag ones made in Korea that shops carry now are ugly knockoffs of the original, at least to my eyes. They'll work fine, but they just don't have the same elegance.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 PM

shrek82 is on a distinguished road

Not sure if you are interested but Orvis is releasing a limited edition, individually numbered CFO III. Its being made by Hardy in England on the original machinery. Not sure on the price though.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:39 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I got the rod and decided to stick with the lamson litespeed. The combo balances out a little tip heavy. We'll see how she does. Besides, it leaves me time to think about it. If I get something else, I'll move this lamson back to the 4wt Helios.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Hey Shotgun, for your consideration give a look see at an old Pflueger Progress. Been around awhile and still easy on the old pocket book. Simple also.
Eddy